70-290 virtual lab.

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Big_nath, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi, guys, forgive me if this a totally newbie question, but never used VMware or V PC before. I am setting up my Lab for 70-290, I want to setup a DC, member server, 1 or 2 xp and maybe a vista. I have had a quick look and it all looks pretty simple'ish to setup. I have 2 main questions.

1. Is my laptop man enough for the job? core 2 duo 1.66, 2GB Ram. Running Vista.

2. My laptop is a domain member, will i my virtual machines interfere with my domain? I will mostly be using the Virtual machines when at home (not connected to domain), but sometime will want to use them at work.

Apologies if it is a stupid question, but new to virtualisation.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'd add 2GB more just to speed up things as VM's use some RAM space as allocated during setup.

Your VM's would not interfere with your DC as it's either setup as a client joined to the DC or a member server. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

cheers.

I have started installing (i'll get more Ram tommorow). I have setup a team and added to virtual machines to it.
    At the moment i have the network adapters set to bridged, but don't think it is a good idea to have the v-machines to access the work network. so how do i set it to access only the virtual machines but not the host.

4. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

I'm interested in the correct setup for this too. Just I'm on VMWare.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  5. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I'm on VMware too, just realised i didn't actually say that, lol.

6. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Hi there

Setup a host only network (all vms with host only nics) and set your DC to issue dhcp and dns, switch off the dhcp in vmware...just stop the service is easiest. Thats the way I setup mine when I did the 270.

Hth

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  7. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Hmmm, I've done that. Scope is all authed but XP client won't get an IP - gets stuck with 169. If I assign a static IP I can ping the DC.

Need to be careful, as my host machine is on a company domain.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  8. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

mine gets ip via dhcp, but can't ping it. not sure i done thr DNS right.

9. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

grrr, now i can ping the DC but can't the xp VM to the domain. I'll take a proper look later, i don't think i forgot to do anything!!:blink

10. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

It was pretty easy in the end, i just forgot to deligate control, but now i've done that it works fine.:D