70-290 questions

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by robbocroft, Aug 29, 2007.

1. robbocroft

robbocroft New Member

Hi guys!

I'm about to remove some dust from my 70-290 microsoft press book (first edition sadly :dry ) and try the exam.
    I have a few doubts tough, since the book is a bit old i wanted to buy a testprep subscription too, so i started browsing a few side downloading demo questions. As for now i tried trascend, selftest and measureup. All those demo questions seemed pretty easy and, in fact, got all of them right (well, being demo questions they are only a few so nothing to get excited about i guess)

The problem is that with my book i had a testing enviroment (powered by measure up) with much, much tougher questions. Nothing comparable to the demo ones i took.

So i'm asking myself if it's worth to spend money on those testprep. What can you advise me?
    I mean, i don't know what to expect from the exam. For example most (if not all) the questions from my measure up cd have little "trap" inside. You have to read them very carefully and you have the costant feeling the question is trying to trick or fool you in some way. Is the real exam like that?

Thank you in advance for every answer

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I would say no to that! I found the need to read all the questions very carefully in all exams i have taken - more so the MS ones.

As for preparation, I would use the MS Press book, VMWare (great for practising the utilities you will be tested on) and Paid for preparation software. I have used Transcender in the past, although there are others which are equally as good.

oh, welcome to the forum by the way!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I used Transcender and MeasureUp for the 290. I seem to remember MeasureUp being easier than Transcender (in terms of question difficulty).

I know what you mean about feeling the questions are trying to trick you or catch you out. I felt like the exam questions were less like that than the test prep questions. Also the scenario's are usually less wordy than the prep ones. That's how I remember it anyway.

GL with the studying.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Bonneville

Bonneville Bit Poster

I've used quite a few of the test preparation programs and have found that the Transcender ones are the hardest.
    One of the problems with these programs are that using them repeatedly is a waste of time as you become too familiar with the questions and 'know' the answers without really understanding the questions - 'Oh I remember the answer to that one' scenario.
    Use these programs sparingly.

Certifications: MCSE, CCNA
    WIP: CCNA Security, CCNP
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Very true. Take ten questions at a time for a realistic idea of how you are doing.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. robbocroft

robbocroft New Member

Thank you all for your answers :biggrin
    I decided to go with transcender since they're offering a nice 40% discount 'till end of august so it seems a good opportunity.
    I'll follow your advice and not rush through all the questions :D