70-290 Passed :D

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Princey, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

WOOOOP!! passed the 70-290 exam on Friday :) :eek:

I was abit shocked when i saw the first simulation, i had no idea they were so big. And the fact that the exam is 4 hours really scared me. None the less i came out with a pass :) I think ill be more prepared for the next exam, now i have an idea what they are like.

I am booking the 70-291 on monday for Friday the 9th November. I think the 70-291 will be fairly simple because the sylabus is similar to the CCNA which i have already done. Am i right in thinking this? Any advice you guys could offer me on this exam would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Dave

Certifications: A+, CCNA, MCSE 2003, NICE Voice Recording,
    WIP: CISSP
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Congratulations and very well done on the pass. As for the 291 being simple, on the face of it the objectives don't seem to bad. They do however go into a very high level of detail in each area. Lots of hands on experience with Server 2003 would be very beneficial also, if you don't have much or any, then you will find it very difficult.

The CCNA should stand you in good stead when it comes to the subnetting side of things, which is covered in this exam. I don't know much about the CCNA though so I'm not sure how the rest of it would relate to the 291. A good background in networking is highly recommended though, and I expect you already have that.

The exam is nicknamed 'The Beast' for a very good reason. It's considered one of the hardest MCP's to pass. In fact, I think you should get more than just an MCP for passing that exam, compared to how easy some other MCP's are. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Absolutely not. If you go into it with that mindset, you'll be in for a rude awakening as to why this exam is called The Beast. :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. BosonMichael

70-291 isn't an MCP... a person who passes the 70-291 is an MCP (though you don't get ANOTHER MCP certification for passing a second Microsoft exam). Gotta get the terminology right.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it :)

Hopefully i'll be alright, as im a network administrator in a windows server 2003 infastructure. Hmmm and "The Beast"? not quite sure what to think about that lol...I'm definatly not going to let the name put me off. What study material would you guys recommend for this exam? i hear Sybex and MSPress are a good source.

Thanks,

Dave

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yep! you can't go wrong with MS Press and Sybex and also get the Transcender test prep when you're done with the books and lab practices. I think if you can hammer the Transcender test prep with a score of a range of 80% to 90% score mark then you should be ready to defeat the beast. I like you attitude too about not letting the nickname beast put you off. That's the way to go:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass, Princey. Good luck on the next exam.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah, I know you can only be an MCP once and it doesn't matter how many you get etc ... I still maintain you should get MCP+ status when you pass the 216 or the 291 though. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

hehe, Thanks :) A bit determination and effort can get you a long way. I really want to get my MCSE done before march 2008 because thats when the transition exam between MCSE 2003 and the new certification track ends.

Thanks for the advice onoski, i'll get myself a copy of Sybex, MSPress and Transcender. 8)

Thanks,

Dave

13. BosonMichael

I'm sure Microsoft has thought of that before... in fact, they used to have the MCP+I and MCSE+I designations. However, they are no longer available.

In any case, it's a moot point; there won't be any more MCP exams.

14. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

Heh, turns out that the earliest date i can book it is the 22nd, so thats out the window. i thought MCSE+I and MCSE+S specializations still existed? They are still on the Microsoft website as active.

15. BosonMichael

You can no longer achieve the MCSE+I because the exams in that track are no longer available.

There is no MCSE+S. You are probably thinking about the MCSE:Security certification (which is not the MCSE+S). There is also an MCSE:Messaging certification.

16. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

Ohh, Sorry, Yeah thats right. I was thinking about the MCSE Security & Messaging :)