70-290 Network Question

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Rob1234, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I have started studying for the 70-290 and followed the book and created a server called Server01 and a domain called contoso.com i set up another server but when I try and add it to the contoso.com domain it says:
    "A domain controller for the domain contoso.com could not be contacted"

I am able to ping Server01 but how come I can not join server02 to the contoso.com domain?

Sorry if the answer is obvious :oops:

Certifications: A few.
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If may be a issue with DNS, have you tried to add the second server to just contoso (instead of contoso.com)?

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

That worked cheers :biggrin

So now I have another question for you, why did dropping the .com make it work? As when I look now it says it is part of the contoso.com domain and at work when I add PCs to the domain I add them by adding *companyname*.local and i have to use the .local.

Certifications: A few.
  4. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Think you might need to set DNS on Server02 to the Ip Address of Server01, I'm assuming DNS is currently set to your router via DHCP ?

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

By using the netBIOS name it only checks the local area network.

Incorrect DNS configurations might be the source of the problem. You can check a system's DNS configuration by entering the following lines at the command prompt: See here (would have typed out my own explanation, but didn't want to type alot :lol: ).

It works at work because they don't have a problem with DNS there, you may have to use the .local as the DNS domain name maybe different to the NetBIOS name (they don't have to be the same) due to whatever reason (eg length of name, etc) :)

-ken

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security