70-290 in 2/3 weeks?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Luddym, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I know the 'how long is a piece of string' theory, but . . . theoretically guys, do you think it is reasonable to expect to be able to take the exam after 2/3 weeks of intesive study for the exam.

The material Id be using would be . . .

The Learnkey cd's (Soon to be borrowed off a friend.)
    The Microsoft 70-290 book.
    VMWare server and clients.

Any ideas chaps?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yes, but No. :blink

Yes it is entirely possible that that amount of cramming could get you through, but how much of that information would you retain? How many hours would you be able to put in to applying the skills with the product?

Whilst I know that what you are after is the cert, you have to also think long term. After you have gotten the cert what will you do? Move on to the next, then the next, etc. Constantly getting certified, but never fully understanding.

I don't know you background Luddy, it could be that you've had years of playing with the stuff, but I'd suggest that you only start the serious cramming once you are fully comfortable with all of the objectives.

Don't rush learning, It only takes more effort in the end! :blink

3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Simon,

I only really intend to do two more exams in the immediate future, then see what comes along.

At present I'm trying to find a job, and it really feels like I've been taking far too long studying, as in the beggining I'd planned on taking one exam a month, which I totally failed to do.

At present, I can spend pretty much all my time studying, but I find that unless I set really close goals, things just tend to be put to the backburner, as there are alot of better things to do. ie TV, video games, DVD's.

I suppose it could look like im just trying to certify, but I think it's more of a 'kick up the a**e' thing to me. :)

4. zenboy

zenboy Bit Poster

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm currently looking for a job after a 4 years hiatus from the IT workfield, and have all the time on my hands. After 5 months of doing nothings (had the thought of trying to start on the XP exams) except kicking back and watched TV and depressed about my career, I decided to do something about it. I would wake up early in the morning, head off to the nearest university's library, sit there for 10 hours a day for one and half month slaving over every inch of the study guides, and finally passed the XP exam. Now I'm on my Server exam and am half complete in my study. All it took was a will to do it.

5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Zen,

Would you say you know your XP stuff well? Or are you finding that as time goes on bits of it are drifting out of your memory, fast?

6. zenboy

zenboy Bit Poster

I have used xp for over 3 years, but not in the corporate world. XP is similar to win 2000 workstation (which I have a good knowledge of). I would rate my understanding of xp in the 7s on the scale of 10 before my journey on xp exam. There were many topics which I had to thoroughly gain knowledge in to pass the test. I am constantly pounding on my computers doing all the exercises I could get my hand on. I'm currently studying for the server exam, and I feel I have retain and reforce many of the knowledge gained in xp; especially when I'm working on my computer labs.
    It was very hard at first to read technical books (especially ms press; which is rather dry), but as times went by, I'm finding it easy to understand more of what the heck they are talking about. Just get yourself started now, and hang in there for the first few months for the cobwebs to clear. Then you will feel that the MCSE cert is attainable after your first exam.
    I agree with Simon.. Don't try to cram your study to pass the exam. It will make it harder in the future to pass other exams. Get a GOOD understanding of the subject because you will need it later on; not just on the exams but in the real life (especially on the job interviews). But first, get yourself away from the comfortable environment you're in..away from the distraction of TV, video games, and especially the Internet when you are studying. I didn't like studying in the library cubicles at first, but now I couldn't wait to head there when I needed to study. There were moments when I wish I have more time to study when the library close for the day...hehehe.