70-290, 70-291

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Leehaa, May 2, 2007.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Booked both for June to try and complete my MCSA before work gets really tough (and wedding planning goes crazy)

I (think I) am ready for the 290 as been studying: playing with a virtual PC domain I set up, plus real life experience for a while now, so gonna concentrate on 291 and, every so often read through / do a bit of practical for 290...

Any advice?

Cheers

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Doh - wrong place - sorry!...please can a Mr or Miss Moderator assist!! :oops: :biggrin

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

moved into general ok? :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thank you!! :hug

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Zimbo's on the job. Good going. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well back on topic...

If you have the experience, done some labs, and read manuals alot, then all you need is the exam prep testing software.

Either of the 2003 bundles from SelfTestSoftware/Transcender is incredibly valuable in this circumstance.

Just allow yourself enough time to get ready - 4 weeks or so of prac tests plus reviews is not ideal but should be okay.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

For 290 the normal books (MSPress) are good. They cover 99%. Be sure to play around with SUS and WSUS.
    For the 291, I allways suggest reading O'Reilly's "DNS on windows 2003 server" as an extra. That should do the trick.

Good luck.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  8. rurffy

rurffy New Member

i wnat to know how the exam would be because ill be writing it soonest

Certifications: ccna, A+ ,mcp 70-210
    WIP: msca
  9. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Well, you enter the examination room and there will be a computer with a special program installed. Everything else on this computer is blocked. The exam buro will sign you up and you will get some explanation on the exam like:
    - You are not allowed to use any material except those provided by the examcenter.
    - If you need a calculator you may use the windows calculator program. You will find a button on the screen.
    - After the exam you may not inform other people on the specific questions you got here.
    - You'll have a time limit of xxx minutes.
    - After the exam you'll have some extra time to comment on any question in this exam.
    - The score you need is 700 points. You'll get yy questions.

After you start the exam you will get a number of questions which you'll have to answer as best as you can.
    After xxx minutes or yy questions, whichever comes first, you may end your exam.
    The machine will start to proces the answers and after a short period of time you will get the results on screen, that is it wil tell you if you passed or failed.
    That's it more or less...

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good luck on the exams Leehaa.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA