70-271 this Friday - I have questions!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by CaptainReboot, Nov 11, 2007.

1. CaptainReboot

CaptainReboot Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I'm working towards an MCSA and hopefully an MCSE after that. My first exam (70-271) is this Friday and I was trying to find some information about what I should expect.

I've taken several different different sample tests and scored quite well, getting above 700 each time and increasing my confidence. Many of the questions included in the sample exams included material which wasn't in my original books.

What are some good study aids to go along with the MS Press other than the Exam Cram books?
    What are people's thought on the exam? By this I mean was it difficult / easy?
    Were the questions particularly cryptic?

Certifications: MCSA, MCDST, NCSS, NCDS, NNCTS, N+
    WIP: MCSE
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Anyone who has taken this test can't answer this question legally because they signed a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) stating that they wouldn't reveal the nature of the questions on the exam.
    At the time you take the exam, a list of questions is randomly selected from the exam database, so no two instances of the exam are exactly alike. What that means is that for one person, there may be a lot of install questions but another person taking the test, even in the same exam center at the same time, may have relatively few install questions.
    Traditionally, Microsoft exams include these sorts of multiple choice questions. The idea is to see if you know the subject well enough to select all of the real options without a prompt that says "select two of the available answers".
    See my answer to Question #1.
    Beats me. Try looking at Microsoft's Offcial site for the exam.
    Probably. There are usually some items that test the exam taker's knowledge in certain areas for future exam development purposes and are not counted towards your actual score. Of course, you won't know which questions they are, so you should try to answer all of the questions as best you can.

What materials are you using to study for this exam and what mock testing software are you using to test your knowledge?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. CaptainReboot

CaptainReboot Bit Poster

After looking at other posts regarding the exams, some people had disclosed that they 'had a number of questions containing ...... and other questions regarding ........ '

My post was only trying to get some information of this nature to guide me but I don't want any help if it is unlawful. It seems that according to what you have said some people on this forum have already broken the law.

This being the case, ignore my questions.

I have modifed my original post.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm not trying to be overly critical, Captain but just making it clear to anyone reading that there are limits to how some of those questions can be answered. They *can* be answered in ways that will likely be helpful to you between now and Friday.

That said, what materials have you been using to study and test yourself with thus far?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. CaptainReboot

CaptainReboot Bit Poster

I totally understand. I certainly don't want to do anything unlawful! I'm simply after some guidance so I know I'm revising the right things. I've done an exams before where I revised loads on something I got no questions for and not so much for things I got a lot of questions for.

I'm using the MS books and the KB online mostly. Along with general information on the internet and sample questions I have found.

I'm really trying to steer clear of sample tests to avoid learning the answers to questions that won't appear. I have the exam cram books on their way to give me a final boost before my exam. I've used Exam Cram books before and have found them really useful in the past.

The topics I'm most concerned about are installation of XP and ACPI/APM.

6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think that is a very bad idea. The point of practice tests is to test your knowledge in the various major objectives for the exam. They are a very good way of showing which areas you are weak in, so you can then do some more revising in those areas. Many people here have found them an invaluable tool when it comes to preparing for their exams.

As for the 70-271 and some of your original questions ...

It is not considered a hard exam, it's certainly one of the easier MS exams I have taken. One person's easy exam can be another persons very difficult one though ... Yes, 700 is the passing score. The questions were reasonably short and didn't take too long to read (unlike Transcender exams which can be very wordy). Also there was nothing that was unexpected on there (based on the objectives of the exam). Finally, yes you may get a question that doesn't count towards the final score, but I have never noticed a question thus far where I thought, 'I bet that's one of their beta questions'. I guess they are good at making them 'fit in'. Or it's possible I just have never gotten any of them ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good luck

I agree with whats been said, you should get sample questions, if you get practice tests that show the real questions that you will see then those are called Braindumps and using them can get you de-certified for life.

So get some practice tests to see where your knowledge lacks or doesn't.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck on your exam, let us know how you get on :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. CaptainReboot

CaptainReboot Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice! Can you give me some examples of practice tests which are okay to use? I've seen Transcender mentioned here a lot.

I'm probably worrying over nothing. I've taken many exams in the past few years and have always been worried up just before taking them.

Are there any MS knowledge base articles which may prove particularly useful? I've read quite a few so far.

10. greenbrucelee

11. CaptainReboot

CaptainReboot Bit Poster

I take it these are okay (according to MS) to use?

Are the .exe's safe? Have you used them before? (the transcender ones I mean)

12. greenbrucelee

They are legit and I have the A+ versions and they are ok.

I have A+ versions of both Transcender and Peoplogic :D

13. CaptainReboot

CaptainReboot Bit Poster

Thanks loads for that. I have in the mean time noticed that the software that MS has a link to from their 70-271 page is the same (or at least looks identical) to the Transcender software. It is called "Self Test Software". I'm assuming that if MS have a link to it it must be okay to use.

14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

They are safe providing you buy them from a legitimate source. If they are obtained by other means, who knows ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. greenbrucelee

Yep the MS self test software is ok too.

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They look identical because Transcender and Self Test Software are owned by the same company, KaplanIT, a division of Kaplan. I used to write for them. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!