70-271 & 70-272 - Duplication of study material

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by djw, Jun 7, 2011.

1. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Hi,

Just a quick question. I am using the MS Press books as training material and have passed the 70-271 exam recently. It seems that the 70-272 contains some duplicate material and I was wondering if I would get away skipping those bits from the book and only going through the obvious differences (the Office 2003 & IE bit etc.)?

Thanks,

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you feel comfortable in doing so then I dont see why not.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Having sat both these exams yesterday, I think it's always a good plan to put more effort into the sections you feel less prepared for (using the Readiness Review was a must for me). By all means skim-read the parts you feel that overlap but remember, there are 5 sections in each of these exams and, not violating the NDA, it is a definite that you will get questions from ALL 5 sections. No one section from 271 overlaps completely with one in 272, so be a little careful in what you skip.

What it would be interesting to find out is, for those that scored highly in 271 - say 850+, how many found 272 a challenge?

Oh, and BTW, very best of luck! :thumbleft

If you've put in the work you'll pass easily...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  4. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. The only reason I was looking at skipping or even just skimming over some of the sections is that I have not been able to do as much study as I would have liked to recently and I am aware that time is running out to take this exam. May just skim over a few sections and see how I go int he exam, I suppose I always have the second shot if it doesn't go well - just have to book quick :)

Thanks,

D

5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

272 does have alot of bleed over from the 271, as the others have stated it would be a good idea to brush up on your readiness review and work on the weak bits. but depending on how well you did with the 271 then you might get away with just studying the office related sections of 272.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the replies to this. Just a quick update to say that I took the risk and studied the bits that I thought would be different to 271 as time was running short, and passed the exam yesterday - so now an MCDST :cheers

Although the end result is good, I shan't be doing it that way again. Going into it knowing that I probably haven't done as much preperation as I could was not good.

Anyway, onwards to the next one.

Thanks,

D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Congrats!

A Pass is a PASS afterall...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...