70-270 vs 70-271

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by riaz.hasan, May 12, 2006.

1. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

hey guyz i have noticed that both 270 and 271 r quite similar, wot is the actual difference between them?? Is it that one is just for troubleshooting and other one is more about xp features and uses? do let me know, i'm very very curious :blink

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hmm just been reading about it now... 270 is targeted at level 2 or 3 in the support ladder (i.e. system admins and experienced helpdesk people) where as 271 is targeted at level 1 (less than 6 months experience in the helpdesk).

270 isnt all windows xp. Its not just a desktop its what makes the desktop tick! and in the exam you need to know some stuff about various server services too!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

Facts:

270 is harder than 271, which you'll get drag and drop questions occasionally, plus some trick questions. A lot of the things tested are those that you actually have to had a go yourself first(not just reading the books/notes) before you have a chance of getting it right - extremely high chance of getting it wrong if just guessed it.

271 is part A of MCDST, I haven't heard of anyone who failed 271 so far, so you know how it is like......some of the answers are guessable/common sense

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  4. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

I recently passed the 70-271 and am now working torwards passing the 70-270. So far everything is pretty similar, but it just goes into a bit more depth, and there's a few subjects you won't see in the 70-271, such as active directory. If you're looking at taking it doing the 70-271 before hand might give you a good run up.

In fact 70-272, 271 and 270 over lap so much it's like getting three exams for the price of revising for two, if you get my drift :)

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA
  5. hubby

hubby Banned

Is it possible for people to use exam/cporse titles as well as numbers, or can somebody provide a list. Struggling with all these numbered posts :confused2

WIP: A+
  6. MonkeyWrench

They're a bit too long winded to type out everytime :) You always just slap the number into google?

7. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

070-270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional

070-271: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating System

070-272: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating System

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  8. riaz.hasan

I was just wondering as to which book you are using to prepare for the 270 exam?

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ms press 2nd edition all the way. Together with Technet (like all ms exams) it a complete package...

10. MonkeyWrench

The MS Press one (2nd edition). Used these books for both MCDST exams and they were spot on, but saying that there's not much out there for those exams so the choice was pretty limited :)

11. riaz.hasan

hey :) 70-270 is the code for MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) and 70-271 is for MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician...70-271 i guess also gets u mcp but is mainly for getting an MCDST, while MCP is based totally on understanding XP i guess...thats wot i came to know :) sorry for just using the codes, should have specified the course name as well... :oops:

12. hubby

hubby Banned

Thanks for that. Doesn't any MS course give you an MCP? If I do an MCDST will that giveme an MCP?

WIP: A+
  13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep, Pass any Microsoft exam and you get MCP status. Pass the right combination of exams and you get something more e.g. Pass 271 = MCP, Pass 271 and 272 = MCDST.

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

pass 271 and 272 and become MCDST... :tune :alc

15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Smart Ass! :oops:

16. riaz.hasan

man! i just had a look at ms press edition 2 for 270! its pretty big, i think it will probably take me a month to get this done and give the exam! so much to read and know! how long did it take u guyz to prepare for it??

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

a month? i barely got through it with 20 hours a week of study for 3 months! Ms exams take time unless you really know the material and if you trying to get into IT and MCP is your first port of call then it will take you much longer if you study the correct ways. Some guys on here have spent nearly 6 months on exam to fully understand the material.. remember its not about exams its about learning the skills and keeping them so you can apply them when you start to work.

JMO

18. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

:hug :biggrin

19. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Can't agree more.

I sailed through my Comptia exams, but the MS ones were sticky. After almost 2 solid months of study for the 70-270 I was still not confident, and it eventually took me about 6 moths to be able to sit the exam. (And I'd come from a cut down support environment, so already knew the basics.)

On this topic. . . . I read somewhere else that if you have passed the 70-270, then the 70-271 should be a breeze, one person even suggested a pass after 4 hours of study would be almost inevitable. I know the feeling is that it is alot easier, but is it really THAT easy? (Just wondering because after seeing this thread I'm considering getting the MCDST to aid Job hunting.)

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  20. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well lud im doing it now! MCDST as my elective for MCSA. Im doing 271 now and im going into my 2nd week of study and there is nothing new for me in it.. ive done 270 and 290 so maybe thats why.. if you study 270 properly i think 271 is a breeze...