70-270 or 70-620 ; XP or Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by GeeJay, May 27, 2009.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay Bit Poster

Hi all,

I'm currently progressing through my MCSA/E at the moment and as you will all probably know, one of the core exams on clients requires me to choose between 2000 (out of the question) XP, or Vista, and I'm not too sure which one would be 'best' to go for.

The thing that bothers me is that with W7 on the horizon, I don't want a Vista cert to be a 'wasted' choice through it perhaps being seen as a failed OS in years to come. Unfortunately I didn't notice the W7 Beta exams until it was too late (is there a newsletter/RSS I can subscribe to for future beta exams?)

Long story short, with W7 looming, which will be seen as more 'valuable' in the future; XP or Vista

IMO, XP long has been, and will be the stronghold of OS's and will be implemented in industries for a long while yet, however at least earning a Vista certification will show I am working toward the future, and W7 shares many similarities with Vista.

You might suggest to go for the cert that best suits my current position, however I look at moving on in the future (obviously I can't second-guess what OS's a future company will be running). I feel as though I know XP inside out as I have been supporting it for over 5 years now, and I have also been using/supporting Vista since it's beta release.

One last thing - I have an exam voucher that expires in a month, so I'd have a month to revise for either exam :)

Many thanks!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, 70-294
    WIP: 70-298
  2. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

hard one to decide,
    i would say go with xp tbh, vista isnt going to see the light of day in a business enviroment. you could always double back and get w7 sometime in the future. just out of noseyness can you tell me were you got your voucher? im needing to sit some exams and am looking for some microsoft ones online.

Leo

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I agree with Leo, do your XP 70-270 as a lot of companies will keep XP then jump straight to W7 in my opinion. I know thats what IBM will be doing. Cheers, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. GeeJay

GeeJay Bit Poster

Thanks for the feedback guys :) Chances are I'll go with the XP one then, as you've both confirmed my thoughts about corporate migration :)

The only thing I could see as a + with Vista is that it's very similar to 7 so it might hold up as an intermediary answer. However XP + W7 would be overall most desirable :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, 70-294
    WIP: 70-298