70-236 - Stuck!

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by tobrien1, Jan 25, 2011.

1. tobrien1

tobrien1 New Member

I've just taken the 70-236 exam for the second time and failed :(
    I'm a bit lost as to what to do.
    I took a classroom based course to begin with, read the MS Press book in full, taken all of the practice questions in the book and never got below 80%. Watched all of the CBT Nugget videos for 70-236, taken multiple practice exams from the CD provided with the book, again, passed 5 exams consecutively, all between 75% and 90% and I've set up 2 exchange oranisations from scratch on test VM's - following the scenarios in the book.

The real exam is absolutely nothing like the test exams provided. Just wondered if anyone else has been in this situation and would know of some good material / decent pratice exams? I'm pulling my hair out over this one. I'm sure it's not just me as I've passed 3 other MS exams in the last couple of months!

Thanks,
    Tom.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    Certifications: MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  2. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Sorry to hear you missed this one.

I never rely on the test questions contained within the attached CD - The one's I have come across have been totally worthless with regards to the live exam. I am not saying they all are but the one's I have used.

Invest in a professional exam suite like: http://www.transcender.com/practice-exam/microsoft/70-236.kap It will seem expensive but cheaper than paying the exam fee's over and over.

3. tobrien1

tobrien1 New Member

Thanks for the reply :)
    I've bought the sybex book, apparently it covers the subjects in a much better depth and I've also bought the transcender exam. Hopefully will have better luck this time!

4. tobrien1

tobrien1 New Member

Just for the purpose of anyone else in the same position. I passed the exam today with a score of 812. Definately worth getting the Sybex book and transcender test software. Much better than the MS-Press stuff :)

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have never taken this exam but I would say always use more than one study material and always use more than one practice exam. When I did the first MCDST exam I just used the MS press book and the rediness review suite which was filled with errors however I still passed but I think that was down to experience more than anything else. For any other exams I have always used atleast two books and two practice exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. tobrien1

tobrien1 New Member

For the 3 previous exams that I have taken towards the MCSE I used CBT Nuggets, the MS press book and transcender that I got as a bundle. It didn't come with the exchange transcender which is why I think I struggled. As the exchange exam is harder than the others some extra material as well as the transcender really came in use!

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are you working with Exchange 2007 just now or is this just from lab work?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done:) and thanks for sharing, as this info would come in handy as I would be sitting this exchange in the next couple of months.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I actually read half way through the MS Press book for the Exchange 2010 exam, it's definitely not an easy exam. I did it mostly for when we migrate to Exchange 2010 in about months time. I knew thing about it, never really used it other than the lab I have at home. I can definitely see how having real world experience can help on the exam. I'll be taking it my self down the line, but not before I get some experience. MCSE is on the line for me here so gotta get that out of the way.

The only thing I can recommend is to use Transcender material, tough but solid exams

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. greenbrucelee

He didn't pass.

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Tobrien is the OP in this thread and yes HE did pass. :rolleyes:

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. greenbrucelee

:oops: missed post 4 sorry :D

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ahhh, congrats!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No worries :)

17. tobrien1

tobrien1 New Member

Thanks for the replies :biggrin

@sparky - I've not had any real world experience with exchange 2007, just labs which probably didn't help! - I've only had real experience with exchange 2003, but a lot has changed between the two versions.

On another note I also passed the XP exam this week which makes me MCSA, thought I'd go for a nice easy one for a break! Just 2 more exams for MCSE!

18. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Nice one mate! :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  19. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the passes. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685