70-217 / 70-294

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by BigG, Aug 5, 2009.

1. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

Hi All,

I am hoping to get a job that requires me to setup users by using Active Directory. Whilst I have no working knowledge of AD, I understand the principles (the gov body have interviewed me and are not worried about my lack of experience in AD)

Assuming that I get this job, is there any reason why I can't start studying for the AD exams? I know that they make up part of teh MSCE so I was wondering if they are too advanced for a beginner?

Cheers

Gareth

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Slowly slowly catchy monkey. You're currently gunning for your A+ (as stated in your previous thread) and you want to learn AD design?

Concentrate on your lower level qualifications first and then move on.

A good guide would be A+, N+ and then MCDST, MCITP.

You need to build the foundations of your knowledge and then progress.

Have a good read around the forums, there is lots of advice to take note of.

HTH

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

Cheers Qs

I certainly wasn't trying to jump ahead of myself, I was just wondering if the AD books/exams would give me a leg up or if it would be a leap too far - sounds like maybe it's a leap too far! But that's why I joined here - to find out!

I was thinking of the A+, N+ and then MCDST route as that (quite rightly) seems to give a good grounding. Will take a look at the MCITP as well

Cheers

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  4. kungfusteve

kungfusteve New Member

I don't think that buying the book and having a read would do you any harm at all - even if it just sits on your desk and makes you look clever! But as Qs said, the other certs should be your main focus.

From experience, setting up users in AD and general account administration isn't something you'd need to read a 500 page book for - you can probably find out most of the info from the web, asking around here, or setting up your own lab at home to practice on.

Good luck!

Steve.

Certifications: MCSE, CCNA, Security+, Linux+
    WIP: Open University BSc
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's right, that's like getting a sledge hammer to hammer in a picture nail. Especially if all you're going to be doing is creating users and administering them (eg change passwords, etc).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, that depends. I understand you have project management experience, but that doesn't automagically qualify you to work on servers... and neither does certification.

Certainly the AD knowledge will come in handy someday... but if you're not going to be immediately asked to help administer AD, of what use will it be to learn it right now? What's the rush?

Focus those energies on the A+, Network+, and MCDST, and get you that IT job before jumping up to rung 14 of the career ladder! After all, if you don't need to study much on those exams, your studies will go quickly and you'll likely advance quickly. But if you DO have gaps in your knowledge, you need to study up on those basics! Otherwise, you're building a house on a shaky foundation.

When I started the pursuit of my Chemistry degree, I took General Chemistry. It was quite basic since I had taken high school chemistry, but I still learned things. The following year when I took Organic Chemistry, the first thing the professor said was, "Remember all the things we taught you in GenChem? Well, it doesn't REALLY work that way, but we had to give you a foundation to build upon that you would understand. Here's how it REALLY works." And that process repeated for Inorganic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry.

I *could* have "looked ahead" at the beginning and studied Organic Chemistry or Inorganic Chemistry or Physical Chemistry... but what would my level of understanding have been? I would have certainly understood some... but other concepts might have been lost on me, and the ones I DID get would have come with much struggling.

Build your foundation. In the long run, you won't regret it. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!