70-215 QOTD 12/05/2004

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by AJ, May 12, 2004.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

You are the administrator of a Windows 2000 Server computer that has FIVE hard disks. Four 100 GB hard disks on the server are configured as a single stripe volume. You want to reconfigure the fourth disk so that the volume is fault tolerant and has as much space possible for storing data. You want to use only the existing hardware. Which of the following preparation works must be done before you create a RAID 5 volume (Choose all that apply)?

A) Convert the disk to dynamic disk

B) Backup the data on the stripe volume

C) Delete the stripe volume

D) Create a span volume for the first two disks

E) Create a second span volume for the last two disk

Answer tomorrow

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A, B & C

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Presumably the ultimate goal is to create a stripe set with parity - so dynamic disks would be needed so yes to A)

Upgrading to dynamic doesn't mean you lose the data so not sure B) is correct.

C) would be correct to delete the stripe volume for disks 1-4

Therefore I think A and C.

Maybe? :lol:EDIT - Although backups are always a good idea!!

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'll go with ABC. I think that even if B is not absolutely required, it is always recommended that you do a backup before making this kind of change.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Prestd

Prestd Bit Poster

the fact that the phrase striped volume is mentioned, rather than striped set suggests that the disk is already dynamic in which case A is not correct(i could quite easily be wrong though!)

I'm not sure of the relevance of there being 5 disks(its possibly a clue that its in capitals) - just realised that the first disk is labelled disk 0 so ignore that comment about the 5 disks

Anyhow my final answer is C as you need to remove the striped volume to make way for the Raid 5 replacement

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

B and C, because we must assume that the 5th (unmentioned) disk contains the OS, so the other 4 are parts of the stripe, and as PrestD says, they are already dynamic.

Agreed that the backup is not essential, but I'm gambling on MS's madness here, and saying you should back up a working stripe first before deleting.

But then, put MS and AJ together on one question - who KNOWS what the answer might end up being :lol:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Answer time

Correct answer is: BC

Explanation: You should first delete the existing stripe set before creating a new RAID 5 volume. According to The MS Training Kit: Only Windows 2000 supports dynamic storage. To support dynamic storage, a single partition is created that includes the entire disk. A disk that you initialize for dynamic storage is a dynamic disk. Dynamic disks are divided into volumes, which can consist of a portion or portions of one or more physical disks. A dynamic disk can contain simple volumes, spanned volumes, striped volumes (RAID-0), mirrored volumes (RAID-1), and striped with parity volumes (RAID-5). You create a dynamic disk by upgrading a basic disk. Dynamic storage does not have the restrictions of basic storage; for example, you can size and resize a dynamic disk without restarting Windows 2000.

Gav does it again :eek:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You're an animal, Gav (actually, that's true...he's a amadillo). Now go over and try some 70-294 QOTDs if you're so hot. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thanks Trip, but I'll stick to what I kinda know :wink:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity