7 day bootcamp

Discussion in 'A+' started by Wasted Little DJ, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Wasted Little DJ

Wasted Little DJ New Member

Hi folks

I am going to a 7 day bootcamp at ***removed possible spam*** training on 28th July studying A+N+ and was wondering if anyone thinks this is possible to achieve? I am doing this due to a few reasons, 1. I have a passion for IT and to learn. 2. I had to resign from my job in sales due to losing my driving licence:cry:

I know it is going to be a tough gig but am willing to put in the effort, but was just looking for some opinions. I was also looking to find out the likely hood of employment when/if I complete these certificates.

Cheerie!

Certifications: HNC Networking
    WIP: HND Networking, A+, N+, CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have only every read negative things about boot camps, i.e they basically give you braindumps (material that tells you all possible questions & the answers.

I am not sure if there are any reputable ones or know anything about the one you mentioned.

But 7 days seems a bit optimistic unless you are a seasoned IT Technican.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I'd have to agree with GBL, unless you have a lot of experience as a Technician, I think you would struggle to pass both the A+ and the N+ in 7 days. It took me months to do the A+ and I've been studying for the N+ for 3 weeks and I've barely scratched the surface!

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Boot camps are not for people who want to learn a topic they've never been exposed to before. That would be like someone who has basic math skills and wants to learn Calculus, taking a 7-day boot camp to learn it. Slim chance at absorbing and retaining the information at best.

IT boot camps are for professionals who already are doing the job and doing it well, but need an intense, focused training course to prepare them for taking certification exams related to their job. This happens usually in situations were the employer suddenly requires all of their IT crew to be certified (in my opinion, if they can do the job, who gives a rip if they have the paper to prove it, but what do I know?).

Unfortunately, most boot camps won't refuse to take your money if you know nothing about what they're teaching but want to sign up anyway. It's a waste of your money if you have no industry experience and, if you did, it's a waste of money for topics that are so elementary in IT (not that the material is simple...just "entry-level").

Don't do it. Get some books instead and start studying.

EDIT: I checked, and four out of your five posts mention this or another training provider. Your first post seems to be on the "up-and-up". I don't know if you are intentionally spamming us by posing as a new learner or if you are just innocently mentioning these businesses, but you don't need to ask a variation of the same question on multiple forums here at CF. Doing so will at least get you an infraction and a couple of not-so-nice comments from members and staff.

I'm going to review your posts in more detail and will let you know if I have additional comments. Sorry for this sort of introduction, but spam involving braindumps and training providers happens here far too often, and we tend to err on the side of caution.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The certs will help, but only experience will really boost your employment credentials.

Generally bootcamps are for people who know most of the material and need a booster to get through the exams. They are usually *very* expensive compared to doing it yourself!

And 7 days for the three exams is *very* tight! I don't see how they could cover all the material properly in that time.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Wasted Little DJ

Wasted Little DJ New Member

Apologies if you think I'm spamming, I can assure you I'm not. I will refrain from using any training providers name in future.

The said company informed me this was a 'career starter' and advised me to take this option. I have parted with over 2k and am beginning to feel a little sceptical of them to be honest. I think I may have well been ill advised.

Certifications: HNC Networking
    WIP: HND Networking, A+, N+, CCNA
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

get it back ASAP, you dont have to do a course to get into IT or take an exam.

And no cert however you studied for it will get you a job.

Why not just buy the books and study yourself, if you given 2k away and get it back after buying the books for A+ and N+ you will have about £1960 left :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If I misjudged you, I apologize. Another person started posting about the same training provider just when you did, so it made the occurrence seem like a "campaign". Glad to see that your comments were open and above-board. That said, there's been some good advice given in this thread.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

It wont be £1960 after buying the "books" (unless you are getting the books from your local charity - second hand store), but you will have a lot of cash left