64 bit stuff

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Jun 7, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Im looking at another laptop, the one i bought last yer now has a cracked screen and is being used as a desktop pc etc. Anyway ive been looking at the 64 bit versions but i believe they have very little support app and games wise so i was wondering if it was worth the move or should i go for another 32 bit set up. I know one thing about the 64 bit set up is that the ram you can add is unlimited or a lot bigger than the 3 gig limit of the 32 bit set up

Anyone got any tips on this one please

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A 32bit OS like Windows may reconise upto 3.5GB, if you want it to reconise more then a 64bit OS is needed.

What do you want a 64bit OS for?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

32bit apps will run on Vista 64 no problem, go for it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I'm assuming that you'd be getting a processor with a 64-bit (x64) architecture, of course. Otherwise your 64-bit OS won't install.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It would be pretty difficult to get one that isn't these days though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Mathematix

Yes, if it's brand new. Otherwise you should check.

7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

well theres no specific reason i suppose, i think its because the amount of gig i can use ram wise , virtually unlimited. i suppose i dont like the idea of being limited with the 3.5 gig of ram. the chip would be 64 bit architecture and so would the OS, it would already be installed etc like. Are there any benefits of 64 over 32 besides the extra ram you can add???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

The max amount of RAM you can install will still be limited, not by the OS but by the motherboard. Check the spec on any machine you are looking at buying to see what the max amount supported is.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  9. Mathematix

At the user level, you will notice better performance of software compatible with 64-bit architectures. At the hardware level, larger sets of data can be passed around per time interval (64-bits instead of 32), and more sophisticated software can be written because of 64-bit instruction sets, with enhanced registers to hold 64 bits of information for both instructions and data.

That's about it in a very tight nutshell. :biggrin

10. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

While Modey's mostly right, there are some products, particularly hardware, that may not support a 64bit OS. For example, my Line6 gear won't work in Vista64 (even in a VM), so make sure you check the important things you use your PC for before committing. No biggie if something doesn't work, you can always downgrade to 32bit if you need to.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Considered dual booting for the best of both worlds?