601 A+ exam

Discussion in 'A+' started by adventdan2211, Jan 6, 2010.

1. adventdan2211

adventdan2211 New Member

Alrite Peeps

Ive been working towards the exam for a while now. I learn pretty quick and been able to strip and build computers and laptops for a long time now. Long before i took on the course and decided to take IT up as a career. Ive read the Mike Myers book several times and pretty much bord of it and feel im ready for the exam. Ive also read all the extra readings advent have sent me but seem to struggle with the mock exam. Ive taken 4 exams now and always seem to get around 65 - 70% mark. Any advice on this exam has i feel its alot harder than should be. Ive been told by other students who have passed the exam and on 602 exam whilst being at the advent centre that its way harder than the real 601 exam. Ive also spoken to someone who told me they cheated on the mock and still passed the real exam, but i dont really wanna go down that route if can be helped

cheers dan

WIP: Studying A+, MCP, MCSDT, MCSA, MCSE
  2. slim

slim Bit Poster

Knowing the componant parts of a computer and where everything goes is just a small part of successfully passing the compTIA exams, you also need a good basic knowledge of operating systems, cpu's, motherboards, basic input/output systems(BIOS) memory systems, bus structures, expansion cards, data storage, multimedia, networking, safety, security among other things! take a look at compTIA own website, It should contain information on exam objectives and what you need to cover to bring your mark up to a pass!! just for your info, im about to sit the A+ exams next month, so my knowledge is limited! but i hope i hav helped a little!

good luck

slim-

WIP: compTIA A+N+&LINUX
  3. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

The part I am having hardest with ATM is remembering all those numbers.. How many, how far, how fast, how big, etc.

What Mike Meyer's book are you reading? I have read the passport book and it was very simplistic and didn't cover half the stuff the All in One covered. It was a nice book though because it prepared me for reading the All In One book and I may use it as a quick study guide before I go for the exams.

Another thing I kinda struggle with is the question that ask you how to change settings.. Like "How do you change the size of the page file". When I have to think of each menu and button you are supposed to click on in my head I kinda have a harder time then if I was at a computer and someone asked me to change the page file size.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+
  4. adventdan2211

adventdan2211 New Member

Hey Mate

I dont know what edition the book is. Its a Meyers book, but sent from advent training so all badged up Advent Training. I can imagine its the latest 601 book. Ive finally passed my mock exam and got my real exam booked for 10th Feb. How you getting on?

Regards

Dan

WIP: Studying A+, MCP, MCSDT, MCSA, MCSE
  5. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

Hey I just toke the 601 today and passed with 757. I did self studying so I don't know what this mock exam is that you talk of. Compared to all the other practice exams and questions I have done online, the real 601 exam was pretty easy. Most of the questions toke me 3-5 seconds to answer. The questions that were hard for me were questions that I didn't know the answer for at all. I had at least 3 questions I had no idea about so I guessed.

If you have read through the Mike Meyer's book you probably know more then me. I wanted to finish the Mike Meyer's All In One book before my exam but only read up to the first hard drive chapter. Like I said in my first post, the hardest thing I have trouble with is all the numbers and specs. 3 days before my exam I got a hold of a bunch of cram sheets and just studied them a bunch. They helped a lot with the numbers and specs. Go to proprofs site, sign up, make some posts, and then you should be able to download the cram sheet they have there. Or send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you.

Biggest advice I have is to do all the questions you can and any questions you have to think about for a bit just mark them and go back to them after. I find that way easier so at the end you can really take your time on them and your brain will probably be better energized (if that makes sense).

I have my 602 booked for Feb 15th. Going to continue to work the cram sheets and read Mike Meyer's All In One.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+