6 Words to Drop from your CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Gingerdave, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Was browsing over at life hacker and came across a link to this article. Goes through some phrases such as:
    * Responsible for
    * Experienced
    * Excellent written communication skills
    * Team player
    * Detail oriented
    * Successful

Now I have used at least 2 of those in my CV. *sigh* looks like I will have to change it. again.

There are some other links on the site with other tips so hopefully it will help some of you.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Interesting read. Cheers Dave.:D

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Interesting read though I don't necessarily agree with it.

Also, have to remember it's a US site aimed at resumes whereas I would say a CV presented in the UK will have a UK slant on things.

I also think it depends at what level (i.e. managerial or not) you are applying.

I won't be changing my CV :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I think it's just to make CV's more specific about the range of skills/experience you have- interesting read though :)

5. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Surely you need to have some buzzwords on there? I mean, the whole process of doing business these days consists of meetings using *nothing but* buzzwords. It's the way of the world. Streamlining, profitability, customer care etc.

...*Draws graph of a line going diagonally upwards that represents nothing, on a flipchart*

Thankfully, I haven't used any of those on my CV, though I did say that I had 'excellent soft skills' based on my experience of dealing with customers across all sorts of media and in various circumstances. Eh. I did qualify it though.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Just a quick question about CVs..

I have the MCDST logo on my CV, is it better to have it on there or does it not really matter?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  7. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

The MS Guidelines are bottom left or bottom right. if you log on to the MCP website there is a PDF of this stuff.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I thought words like lawsuit (eg I won a lawsuit against my previous employers) would also ring bells :lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I know about the guidelines, but does it matter if they are on your CV or not, do it make any difference to an employer?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  10. danlewis88

danlewis88 Bit Poster

Also "I was dismissed from my previous job for sexually harassing the receptionist."

WIP: MCDST, MCSE
  11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

.... and the HR girls..... and that chick in account with the massive knockers.

Funny. Thats what got me this job... :twisted:

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I was told off an agency years ago to remove my logo's off my CV. They basically said employers can see what your qualifications are by reading your CV so you don't need them on there. I thought it looked good but took their advice.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Has anybody ever considered that the endgame for all of this 'CV hacking' s*** that has been going on for the past couple of years is a CV that looks something like this:

[​IMG]

I'm sick to death of these poxy lazy b*****d recruiters. Skilless, clueless, talentless scum who are so bone idle they not only can't be bothered to try and accurately match people to a job spec, they now don't want to have to bother trawling through their databases to do a skills match.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Interesting list, because I've seen every one of those items in job adverts. Buzzwords work both ways, apparently.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

That would be A noval approach to A CV,and funny enough if that come across my desk I would be tempted to call you in.:biggrin

WIP: C++ and A+
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Must be new guidelines, then, because there used to be no major restrictions on the placement of the logo with respect to where it's placed on the paper. Mine are in the upper right, and I ain't changing them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Reps for the Iron Maiden reference 8)

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Know what I've used? Just about EVERY one of them, with minor variations in the wording. I currently use four:

"Provided on-site and remote hardware, software and network support and training" - basically, the same as "responsible for...". If I gave specifics on every little bit I have done/can do, my resume would take a ream of paper. :rolleyes:
    "Experienced with software and hardware installation and troubleshooting" - again, if I gave details...
    "Writes and trains others at an easily understood level"
    "Thinks analytically; possesses excellent troubleshooting skills and attention to detail"

Know what? I usually get a call back for an interview... only had TWO potential employers not give me a call back in the past 10 years.

I agree, in general, about using quantitative terms, where applicable. But I don't agree with his assertion that you're going to stay unemployed if you ever use generalities. If an employer wants more details, they'll ask for them in the interview... which I gladly provide.

So... in my opinion, that article is poo. Don't rush out and change your CV just because this dude recommends it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!