6 ways to ruin your resume

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kitkatninja, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

6 ways to ruin your resume

Bad techniques can bury your talent

My vision is blurry. I've reviewed more than 40 résumés for a network administrator position, and less than half have made the cut. Although I rejected some candidates because of their lack of experience (or, rather, their lack of demonstrated required experience), others had errors in their application packages that lowered their ranking -- errors that could have been easily corrected.

Of course, the traditional job-seeking advice still applies. Always follow résumé best practices -- proper spelling, good organization, consistent font and so on. Realize, too, that if you simply don't meet the required minimum experience, it's very unlikely that you'll get the job. Beyond that, if you avoid these all-too-common mistakes that can be found in résumés for all kinds of IT positions, you'll boost your chance of landing the job.

Read about these 6 more ways of ruining your resume/CV here...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for sharing Ken:) surely an interesting read to look at things from someone's else perspective that knows what they're talking about.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cheers Ken, nice article :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)