Forum Update 5234 days later

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SimonV, Oct 22, 2017.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Wow, 5234 days since CertForums was born! Its amazing really that its still going, many other sites that were around at that time have long since died and disappeared. Theres been times when I've wanted to call it quits and shut the doors but something always made me keep going.

Life for me has changed dramatically in that time as Im sure it has for a lot of you, its been a hell of a long time. CertForums was born at a time when certification was bigger and my interest in the subject was just beginning, this place supported me and many others in the pursuit of a better job, a better life and a better future. Life never really plays out the way we imagined and my certification path deviated as so did my career, but one place was always there, this place. A place that has in the past brought me great happiness and also a whole load of stress. I put more into this site at times than even my own vacations, I remember having to work on CF during a holiday to Thailand when the server hosting company blocked the account because the site was using too much resources! While my friends where enjoying the beach I was working in an internet cafe pulling my hair out trying to get the site back online!

There's been a whole bunch of people through the doors over the years, some characters Ill never forget and some that will never be forgotten too. Ive seen the unemployed become employed, Ive seen the single become married, Ive seen boys become men, techies become novelists even Scots become friends with the English!

So whats with all this nostalgia I hear you say, well the time has come for me to hang up my CF boots as owner and admin of CertForums, after 5234 days or 14 years, 3 months, 28 days its time for me to say goodbye to the place and hand it over to a new owner. Its been a blast while it lasted, I'll always drop back and see how the place is doing but as of Friday theres a new Sheriff in town. CertForums is officially under new management.

I honestly couldn't think of a better man to take the reins and Im sure he'll be able to give the place the time and energy it deserves and bring the life back into the community. Its been an amazing experience running CF and I wish the new owner and everyone involved in its future all the best of luck. Cheers and best wishes!

@JK2447 its your baby now. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

@SimonV thank you for creating this little corner of the internet, you are a gentleman and a scholar sir.

When I joined 3183 days ago, or eight years eight months and 19 days ago, I didn't have a single cert to my name. This place was a very important support mechanism for me as I went through a very tough time in my career, realising just before it was almost too late that a job with mainframes was going to end in tears. Thankfully with the help of this place I hit the certs hard and transformed my fortunes.

I've always had a soft spot for Certforums because of this and likewise I've met people who I'll probably stay friends with for life.

Going forward I have the time and energy to put into the place and I hope you will join me in helping others realise their certification goals, and hopefully have a laugh along the way. I have to renew my VCP by February so I plan to post about my studies for this. I feel in this day and age of employers being able to have their cake and eat it, certification is as important as ever as a way to stand out from the crowd and demonstrate that you truely know your craft. I myself have recently applied for my dream job with a vendor (waiting to hear back) which specified I must have one or two of the certifications I worked hard to get. I doubt my CV would of got past the first hurdle without them and this is a senior management position.

I am based in Liverpool and will likely look to have a get together somewhere up here or the midlands, like the good old days towards Christmas time.

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or ideas for the place I will be glad to hear them. Just inbox me.

There will be no changes as such other than me evaluating what new certs are valued in the market e.g. Azure, AWS, Togaf etc and possibly creating sections devoted to these. I would like to thank Admin @AJ and the moderators who do a great job of helping people improve their knowledge and skills. I hope you will all continue as you are, it's very good karma helping as you do :)

@SimonV I wish you all the best for your future and hope you enjoy a well deserved break as I know a lot of hard work has gone into this site over the years.

Thanks

James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Back in the day (since there is some counting going on) 5231 days ago I joined CF. I had actually been lurking from Day 1 but having never been a member of a chat forum before, I wanted to see what was going on first.

I can only echo what @SimonV has said. CF was a support network for me and a whole lot of others when I wanted to break into the IT and cert world. The values that CF has been run on, no question is too stupid if it needs to be asked then ask (you may not get the answer but you will be helped in finding the answer), no brain dumps, helping others (no matter what their creed colour and language) and fairness. May these values carry on to bring CF to greater heights.

On a more personal note, I would like to thank Si for allowing me to be apart of the good ship CertForums on her travels. The times have been good, both the ups and downs.

James, thanks for taking on CF. I'm sure there will be greater things ahead and I Iook forward to helping us get there.

Stay in touch Si :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thank you @AJ I owe you a pint

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    Jakamoko and AJ like this.
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

First have to thank Simon for the hard work and time he put in to make and run this site, I expect you and the members have helped more people then you realise.

When I joined back in 2007 (can't work out the amount of days!) I had no certs and was just beginning I now have over 30 and still going this site truly helped me understand the confusing world of certification.

I am glad that the site will continue as it would be a shame to see it disappear I have seen the forum become quieter over the last few years but I have to disagree with certification being bigger in the past I think it is still very much relevant but as the areas of IT has changed I think the forum needs to reflect and show the certs in these areas more such as cloud, security, big data etc. if these areas become bigger on the forum then will attract more users and the other areas of the forum will grow.
    Also a lot more smaller companies are offering training now and I am expect some would be willing to work with certforums on promotions and free material for members.

I hope in another 10 years we will still be posting on here!

Certifications: A few.
    Bluerinse, Jakamoko, SimonV and 2 others like this.
  6. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Couldn't have said it better myself and I've already reached out to one or two to see if they fancy a collabo

Jakamoko likes this.
  7. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Thank you for creating a Wonderful little corner of the Internet @SimonV
    I can honestly say, if it wasn't for the Input, Support and help from CF, I don't think I would have got into IT almost 7 years ago. And for that Sir, I really do thank you.

@JK2447 Best of luck Jim, Couldn't think of a better person sir. Very best of luck my friend.

Jakamoko, SimonV and JK2447 like this.
  8. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Good luck Jim and best of luck for the Future Simon

I can't believe it's been 3,568 days since I joined.

I miss the old days

Cheers
    Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  9. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thanks Joe. Reminds me of that American Football guy in Napoleon Dynamite who buys the time travel device ha ha. I feel the same

10. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well I have just calculated mine and its says 4591 days, luckily I am typing in bed or I would have fallen over.
    For all those who want to check the actual amount of days they have been on there is a link

http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/misc/days-between-dates.php

I was at the stage where I knew I wanted to get into IT and I had the pressure of thinking that paying for training through dodgy companies would be the way forward, thankfully I studied some of the forums on CF and avoided all of those cowboys, so I must say thanks to @SimonV for creating the place and for all the advice he has given me over the years

It was friendly when I first came on the scene and it still is to this day, there has been some great advice and help over the years.

You know @JK2447 will do a spot on job of looking after the place.

Ill still be around helping out if I can

As for drinkypoos, this is always something that I have wanted to do is to meet up with some of the people from here, so finances dependant, i would be up for that.

Also @JK2447, I never knew you lived up the road from me mate, im down in Ormskirk

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  11. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thank you Ed, you contribute a lot and we all learn from each other. We're practically around the corner from each other so I'm sure we can manage a mini GTG at the least :)

SimonV likes this.
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Out-freaking-standing. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
    Bluerinse, Jakamoko, JK2447 and 3 others like this.
  13. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Welcome back sir, it's been a long time.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
    Jakamoko, JK2447 and BosonMichael like this.
  14. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Wow blast from the past!

Certifications: A few.
    JK2447 and BosonMichael like this.
  15. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Welcome back @BosonMichael. We should shake this place up more often I've seen many of the old crew visit lately! Excellent ha ha

BosonMichael likes this.
  16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Wow, who thought this day would ever come? But if I can chuck a couple of sheckles into the hat, I'd say thank you, thank you, thank you to Si for being around the training centre same time I was and giving me inspiration to get my *rse (sorry JK, I mean Boss ) into gear.

I loved my time here with you all - Si, AJ, Trip and a million others around the time. Hope this place continues to thrive. I'll still pop my head in front time to time...

JK - knock it out the park, my friend

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
    Bluerinse, Rob1234, SimonV and 2 others like this.
  17. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thank you very much @Jakamoko. I actually can't believe all of the old legends we've seen back on the site of late, most excellent!

Jakamoko likes this.
  18. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Gav, glad you have made it back!

Don't be a stranger buddy and certainly don't leave it such a long time. I miss our chats over 4fora5a :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
    Jakamoko and JK2447 like this.
  19. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

4300 dyas since i joind, and probably over 1000 since i last logged in. But saw this on Fb and Twitter so had to come back just once more.
    I remeber when i was first on, talking to the likes of AJ, Boson, Dawn, James and Mitsz. Have to say, i still comment on a few of them when they post on twitte ror FB and occasionlayy chat to Mitzs on messenger (yes she's still around with her Duct tape!).
    It was them and others on CF who helped me decide i could get better qualified in IT and do it myself with out hugh costs. They helped me with study questions so i could pass exams (or fail, 3 times server 20012 and gave up!).
    But also, we all just chatted and had a laugh.
    If it wasnt for Si, that would never have happend. I owuldnt have had a place to hangout etc. But everyone has to retire at some point. SO well done Si, you've achieved something here, but rest now and put ya feet up.
    And at least ya know its all in good hands, Sure JK can carry on your good work.

(Oh and i'll probably wont be back for another 3 or 4 years... once i get back out of IT!)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
    Bluerinse, Rob1234, Jakamoko and 3 others like this.
  20. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Stick around mate its like old times, we've all come back because we heard you were coming back.... no pressure.... ha ha PS I can help you slay that 2012 punk exam :)

Jakamoko likes this.