5 Lifestyle Activities That Can Get You Fired

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Jun 27, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm not sure how this plays out in the UK, but workers in the US can be sacked for any variety of reasons and, in most states, for no reason at all. I know that where I live (in Idaho), employment is "at will", meaning that either the employer can sack you for no reason and it's legal, or you can just tell the boss to go "get stuffed" and quit with no notice (this assumes there is not contract in place with the terms of termination spelled out). Turns out, only Montana and Arizona *aren't* "at will", so this applies to most employees in the US (watch out, Ryan).

Here's the link:

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-5_lifestyle_activities_that_can_get_you_fired-427

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yeah i was aware of that gunk, the US has never been one to support the rights of its citizens to any modern degree, if your not a big corporate with lobbying dollars, your not worth any time to the law makers ;)

fortunately as the article said, a lot of those examples are not very common, and legal or not, the bad press a company would get for sacking someone for some of those reasons makes it not worth the attempt

you can't buy your name back once it's been through the mud

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

perceived sexual orientation? does that mean they can sack you because they think you look a bit gay?

WIP: A+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Apparently so, according to this article. As you can see from reading the entire article, what seems unfair isn't necessarily illegal. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They can sack you for not drinking your coffee in a beige cup if they want. But... before anyone gets all up in arms about it... stuff like that generally doesn't happen. If you do your job well, and you're not a total douche, you have little to fear.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'd like to just amend Mikes statement a little if you do your job well, your not a complete douche AND your boss is not a complete douche you will be fine :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How true! :ohmy Repped. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!