42.5 working hours?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dburnejones, Sep 2, 2011.

1. dburnejones

dburnejones New Member

Hi, i am wondering if it is normal to work 42.5 hours a week ( 8 - 5:30)?

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Anywhere from 36 to 45 hours is normal with the average hours per week being 37.5. However even though it's not in our contracts (at our place it's 37 hours per week), we normally do extra...

Basically, if you're employed and paid to work for 42.5 hours. Then yes it is normal.

You can look up the EU working time directive too.

Or are you asking if you're working week is too long? Or not being paid enough for the hours worked?

-Ken

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Almost every job I've had, has made my working hours longer... used to be 8 hours a day, then it went to 8 hours and 15 minutes, and now I'm at 8 hours and 30 minutes per day (i.e. 42.5 hours). But technically some Swiss laws (not necessarily the same in your location) forbid working longer than 45 hours a week (but we techies tend to do it anyway).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I work 42.5 hours a week as well, and I tend to work through most lunches (today being the exception), I guess work around 56 hours in reality:(. But ive known IT techs work a lot more......

Strange really, looking back Ive always worked more than my contracted hours in virtually any job Ive done and done it quite happily even unpaid. But when someone states your contract is actually 42.5 hrs...........but when its statedd you have to do 42.5 hrs, it just dosnt feel the same:|

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I usually work through my lunches and recently I have been working at least 30-60 mins over my finish time which puts me at nearly 45 hours a week. Of course i am not forced to take it and I choose to but it is expected I feel.

If your earning peanuts though doesn't really make you want to do more time than you get paid for.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try working a 100 hour week! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I regularly work about 65-70 hours a week. Comes with the territory. I could probably get by if I worked less, but things wouldn't be organised, I'd look like a chump if I had to do out of hours stuff in the office and I enjoy it anyway. Would I like to be paid more? Yes - who wouldn't - but I get enough of a salary to consider that the extra mile is worth going.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Sparky

Well said mate....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah

Monty Python's Flying Circus
    "Four Yorkshiremen"

What bloke said that "if you love what you do you never have to work a day in your life?"

I normally put in around that same as Sparky, but I enjoy it so it does not seem so bad.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
    Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  10. Sparky

Yup. :)

Some weeks are 9-5 and some weeks are much more than that. I put in the hours because I enjoy what I do. Also I just want the job to be done properly as Zeb has already pointed out. :)

11. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

:DLOL!:D

I believe it was Confucius that quoted this - and so true it is!

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA