3rd switch for a lab?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by phatboy, Mar 23, 2008.

1. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

Hi
    My switching lab currently consists of 2x 2950's. To fully mess with RSTP I think a 3rd switch would be helpful. I could get another 2950, but I'm thinking a more powerful switch may be the way to go for the future (CNNP hopefully!)

Can anyone recommend a good switch to use as the core switch in my lab? I dint mind spending a bit, but dont want to buy anything wildly powerful that I wont use any functionality of!!

Thanks

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
    WIP: CCNP R&S, CCNA Wireless
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Layer 3 switch. Cisco 3750 would work (I don't know of anything smaller).

3. Donmac

Donmac Bit Poster

Hi Phatboy

Try the following

Cisco 3550 Switch(Layer 3) = £400 on ebay
    Cisco 3650 Switch(Layer 3) = £700 on ebay

As with everything cisco you get what you pay for... to get the best you will need the EMI (Enhanced Multilayer Image) as this will allow to to use OSPF, IGRP, EIGRP BGP and IS-IS.

Hope that helps
    Donmac

Certifications: a few
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Ex2k7, Win2k8
  4. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

Hi all, and thanks for the replies.
    I have decided to go for a 3550 24port, which I got for £400 (excluding VAT) with 60 days warranty!
    Also got a few other bits while I was at it, like extra ethernet interface for my router

Cheers

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
    WIP: CCNP R&S, CCNA Wireless