3rd day report?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by twizzle, Oct 8, 2008.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok so its my turn to do a 3 day report on my new job. Don't really know what to say.

Spent most of monday learning the software. Its only one app and not too complicated. Also had to learn how to use teh call logging software, again not too much to it. Sat rounf for rest of day doing not much. things is its a really small company witha round 8 or 9 employees. The conversations low, sort of quiet for half a day then lots of chat for 10 mins then quiet again of a further hour or so then more chat then quiet again for rest of teh day. And theres no where to escape to if you want to get up from your desk. Have to wait till lunch to get out teh office or away from my desk.

Tuesday was a half day spent with teh other new starter and a client, in training again. Did cover teh software in more deatil, but again was more on how to use it and not how to fix it when things go wrong. Afternoon was a little better as i took some calls on the helpdesk. Had my first unhappy customer as well. Had to tell them taht as they didnt have a support contract i couldnt help them and that they would have to pay for support, which they didnt like.

And finally today, spent teh day on the phones logging calls. Did get one of teh others to put a fault on my software so i could get to try fixing something and lean at the same time. Was easy though once i realised where the software stored which files and which ones were called at what point in its operation. Things is theres 3 of us taking calls, and i only had about 6 all day. At the moment its too early for me to pick something up when theres nothing to do. Seems like there isn't that much to actually do during teh quiet periods apart from sit and wait for a call.

What it has done, is make me wonder if this was a mistake, if i should have stuck in my previous job, which i didnt like due to travel and the backstabbing going on. At least in the old job i had lots to do, was always something new and the conversations could last all day (even through the back biting). Well theres no going back now so will have to put up and see if this improves. Who knows maybe it will once i'm more familiar with the software and don't have to keep asking for help, and maybe i can find something to do during teh quite times. Just that when its quiet it makes for a veryyyyyyyyy looooooooooooong day.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

In the current climate be thankful you're in a job.

Having said that, use the free time to study maybe ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thank you for the feedback on the new job.

If you want my advice, I would put the 'down' time to use and ask if it is OK if you study!

Think of it as using the companies time to further your learning and career prospects :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Early days mate. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

It’s easy to second guess, but you left the old place for a reason so don’t bother thinking of what you left. It’s early days, but after a while, if the situation doesn’t improve, look to move on. In the meantime, get more experience. :)

6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Basically as the others said, Twizz.

You left the other place for a damn valid reason. If this place remains quiet even when you feel more autonomous on the system, use the time for study and go 'hurrah' for getting paid for it.

Update us again when you have your feet a bit further under the table :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

What code do they use for the software? perhaps you could use the free time to read up on (they must have books for it) and grasp the basics of that...that way it'll help you with your troubleshooting and you will be able to take on the harder stuff much earlier 8)

At my last company (same size and as sporadic in conversing as yours), I spent a fair while reading up on Lotus script and having a go at debugging stuff and writing basic agents...then eventually copying the design of live databases and making my own from those, which then lead to being able to create test environments etc - it's amazing what you pick up and how much easier it makes the troubleshooting!

Good luck with your second week :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks guys, today was a bit better, felt more comfatable and more part of the crew.

Lee, i do plan to see if they wont mind me learning something while at work. I still have to finish study for teh 271, so if they let me load the test sims on the pcs at work i can get on with that. If not maybe something else.

Well tomorrows takeway day, not sure what they getting, just hope its anything but pizza!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on the new job. As a "newbie" myself, I know the process well. Looks like I'll have a bit of a break from my training schedule today. Will give me a chance to assimilate what they've tried to cram in my brain thus far. Cherish the "downtime". :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+