3gb Roaming Profiles

Discussion in 'Software' started by shadowwebs, Oct 1, 2013.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have had a user want to know why it takes so long to logon, the simple answer is that they have a 3gb roaming profile, caused by in appdata\local having a 1.46gb outlook.ost file and then in appdata\roaming they also have a 1.55gb outlook.ost file.

Using Outlook 2007.

I come from a background using Outlook 2010 in my previous job, and I am just wanting to confirm that by deleting both of the ost files, these will automatically rebuild on opening Outlook back up, am I right here?

Also, as a side note, it's best that I turn off cached mailbox mode right?? so that the ost file won't get so big in the future

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Sounds about right, you can also use Group Policy to disable OST creation if I remember rightly...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I am going to clear the ost files this afternoon and see if this speeds up the logon process, the user claims this won't and I have my concerns... but as long as they aren't going to lose anything then should be fine. I think I may decide to back these up rather than just clear delete though.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Where is your email hosted, on-site exchange or off-site exchange?

Deleting the .ost locally or from the roaming profile won't delete any of the email from the exchange, it will simply re-create the local or roaming .ost file when the user next connects to the exchange.

If you delete it from the exchange server, then yes you will lose all email.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the user moving around PCs? Is a roaming profile needed?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs