32bit to 64bit windows product key

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, May 11, 2008.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey,

I was just wondering... I bought windows XP professional 32bit version a few years back and a buddy of mine recently(a few months back) bought the x64 bit version of windows XP pro. My question is will the 64 bit version of windows work with my windows XP product key? and is it legal to use in such way?

Thanks.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

No, the licence keys are for different versions. Microsoft did run a promotion a few years ago where you could upgrade XP Pro to XP 64 on new machines shipped with Pro. This was probably just for OEM copies, and was a long time ago. I would still contact them and see if they can upgrade you.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nope it won’t work.

Also I don’t think you can upgrade from 32bit to 64bit, by that I mean run an in place upgrade. We purchased a full version for 64 bit XP but it didn’t give us the option to upgrade when we tried to install it.

Ended up having to format and start over and then had the usual battle with 64 bit drivers. :cry:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I see, thanks for the replies guys. I didn't think it was possible but I just wanted to make sure. The reason I was curious is because at work the IT manager has recieved vista ultimate both 32 and 64 bit dvd's in one box with the same product key, but it is a retail version not oem, so I was wondering if my key would work with the 64bit version.

Thanks again.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I reckon in that particular case Prof, the key will work with either copy but will only allow activation of one or the other.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

All the editions of Vista come on the one 32 or 64 bit DVD. You can install any of them, but the key will only activate the version you paid for.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

True, you get all 32 bit versions listed on the 32 bit DVD, same idea for the 64 bit OS.

Makes things slightly easier when you need to reinstall Vista. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Interesting I didn't know that. I thought that the key was good for both versions of the OS but I guess not.