3 Million hit by Windows worm

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 16, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I had not heard of this one before http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7832652.stm

make sure your updated.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Interesting stuff. My mate at work will no doubt be banging on about how his MAC is nice and secure from 99% of malware :twisted:

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

But MACs are cr@p tho. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. greenbrucelee

I'd say to him that most people I know who have MACs are pretend graphic desiners who think they are breaking from the norm by have a MAC.:twisted:

5. greenbrucelee

and that too :D

6. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Good idea to patch, this recently caused more than a few problems for our IT guys at work, hit something like 90% PC's.....................kept them busy for a while:dry

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Wow - that is some crap security you have there, I'd be looking for another job in a slightly more secure environment if I were you! I don't know anyone who has been hit by this - not at home, at work - anywhere.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Completely agree.

We supposedly had a patch applied, however I ran a random virus check, as us out of hours staff were getting a strange virus notification, and it basically was jumping up and down with its little arms in the air.................not sure how it got missed. Notified the management, and its caused problems all week.......

I just dont understand it.........a bit slack to say the least

9. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

lol.
    All MAC users generally install Vista on their MAC so they can actually use the thing properly..... :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The patch has been out for a while now, tell your guys to use WSUS. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

To be honest never heard about this virus or worm and then again we use WSUS:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Yeah I know, as I said it seems slack to me,...and I dont even think XP is updated to the latest Service pack, but again some things are strange to me at this company:)

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - Here comes the AV industry once again, talking bollocks about the end of the world...

Unfortunately for Graham Clueless, they can't even spell his name right at the BBC :)

Seriously - 9 million machines infected? And I've yet to see one of them? Anyone else (apart from Colloghi) been hit yet or know anyone who has? What's the betting that the figure shown last week (approx 1200 machines in the UK) still holds true, and that the 'skyrocketing' number of machines are ALL in China, Brazil and Russia?

I guess the fact that we haven't really had a major worm outbreak since Blaster is starting to make people realise that the security industry has been doing nothing but scaring them unnecessarily for the last three years if they're resorting to trumping up bull**** about a worm that - even if you are stupid enough to run unpatched, with no anti-virus software - does nothing but stick your machine on a botnet (hardly the end of the world for people who, as previously mentioned, are stupid enough to run unpatched and without anti-virus software).

I'll repeat what I said about this before - ANY business that gets hit by this should FIRE its security admin and/or ops manager instantly. Patches have been available for this flaw for more than two months, and all AV vendors detect and neutralise the threat if machines are running up to date dat/pattern files. Comments about it being 'the holiday period' (presumably meaning its acceptable for security admins (or those responsible for security) to piss off down the pub and not give a monkeys about work for a fortnight, or it being 'difficult' to roll out patches to a large corporate network (really? With WSUS being so ridiculously simple to set up and manage that a child could do it?) are patent nonsense.

14. greenbrucelee

I must admit I haven't heard of anyone getting hit by it and I certainley haven't.

Maybe it's a ploy by certain places to get people to use their AV product.

15. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I don't think I can believe the amount of Mac haters in here. :O You blasphemers!

Why exactly are you all capitalising all three letters? Hm? ¬_¬

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  16. jayford

jayford Bit Poster

Sadly we are one of the companies to be hit by this worm and our It dept has been battling it for over 3 three weeks now.

Whilest I'm only able to overhear snippets of the discussion between our IT manager and our dept manager, one of the main reasons why the problem has taken so long to resolve is that it would kill our business if ALL the pcs across the network where switched off while the solution was propergtated across our network.

Certifications: HND Computing, procrastination+
    WIP: MCITP Developer, Bsc Info & Comp
  17. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Sack them all :P

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  18. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Apparently it had do with people ignoring and not installing the Windows Updates that cause their computer to infected by the worm. I agree these IT people in your company should fired for this, there is no excuse for not keeping your companies computers secure. There should be an SUS on your Windows Server and client computers install the updates.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  19. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Patch Tuesday anyone?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

There is NO excuse not to keep updated on patches nowadays. WSUS is ridiculously easy to implement, can be put on something no more powerful than today's average workstation and, with virtualisation, there's no excuse about not releasing patches because they 'might break something' - how hard can it be to get a test environment up for God's sake? In any case, the only time the argument for not patching in case a patch breaks something really held true was for servers - and anyone who allows users to surf the net from, or plug USB sticks into their servers is a ****wit who doesn't deserve to be let near a computer ever agin, much less a server room.