291 done and dusted

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by stealer, Jan 30, 2010.

1. stealer

stealer Bit Poster

Morning all,

Think this is my first post here, I've been ducking in and out occasionally reading peoples advice on various certs but never actually posted.

Anyway, I sat the 291 a couple of years ago and failed with a 590, since then I've never bothered but decided at the turn of the new year to give it another go. Glad I did! I managed to pass yesterday with 807.

To be honest I thought I was fated to never take the exam. They had to sit me at 3 different workstations because the exam kept throwing me back to the candiate login page. Then my first 10 questions were all simulations so I thought something was definately broken. Is that the new format?

Anyway, for those interested I used a combination of Nuggets and TestOut as well as using MeasureUps and a lot of google etc.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the previous posts, there's been some great advice in here and I promise not to read and run in the future.

I'll start working for the 290 on Monday.....can't wait!

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: Undecided
  2. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Nice one, sitting the 290 myself shortly, good luck

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  3. stealer

stealer Bit Poster

Thanks, good luck to you too. What's been your approach for the 290? You been studying long?

4. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

291 before the 290? :eek: that's a little controversial, is it not? what were your reasons for that? Does the 290 complete your MCSA? Well done and good luck

5. stealer

stealer Bit Poster

haha, I guess so, just fancied doing the 291 first. I guess I thought I knew more of the 291 already and was an easier way back into studying. The 290 will complete my MCSA.

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. stealer

stealer Bit Poster

Thanks very much Ken

8. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Just using the ms press book, been studying on and off for a few weeks, but due to work I can't get "stuck in" which is what i want to do. I find the objectives slightly boring, felt the same for the 270, tbh just want the 290 out the way, looking forward to the 291, 284 as that im really interested in and use at work.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  9. stealer

stealer Bit Poster

How does the 290 compare in difficulty to the 291?

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

291 covers in depth most of the topics covered in 290. So you'll get a lot of TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, WINS, network security, group policy, WSUS, and command-line stuff. There's a lot to absorb, so 291 is more difficult than 290. DNS is quite a biggie in 291; it's a big focus in the exam.

12. stealer

stealer Bit Poster

Hi xmojo, thanks for the info...

I actually sat and passed the 290 yesterday. I was a bit more confident leading up to this one due to the fact I felt I knew the OS itself pretty well. The only thing I really needed to get more info on was the NTBackup etc. Other than that I thought I might as well take advantage of the 2nd shot voucher and see exactly how I performed. Turns out I didn't need it.

Undecided on what to do now.

13. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass (again) :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  14. surfthegecko

surfthegecko Bit Poster

tbh honest I found the 270 and 290 harder than the 291. I think the content is more interesting in 291 so my brain was just constently wondering whilst trying to study the other two.

Oh and congrats on the pass, im sure you will blitz the 290