291 anyone

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by PAT, Aug 23, 2005.

1. PAT

PAT Banned

I am taking the 291 exam next week has anyone got some tips. Thank you.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Erm... Make sure that you know your stuff!

Seriously though I haven't looked at this exam so I can't help.

I'm sure that there will be others who have though and that they'll be along shortly to help.

Best of luck to you though!

8)

3. PAT

PAT Banned

I hope this one is not as hard as 290 :cry:

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry, mate. Closest thing I came to was writing a review of the 294 for Cramsession. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

I found 290 easy compared to 291. 290 you could build with a few servers / VPC's and manage to pratice ( and understand) all topics on the exam list (also means that a second line support person would be at least familer with the tech.) Where as the 291 was very infrastructre based, so a real deep understanding of DNS / DHCP / TCP/IP / WINS etc was needed, which I am glad I got as I am now using it at work :-)
    Jam.

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.
  6. PAT

PAT Banned

thank you for the help

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

How did you get on?

8. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I wonder? I'm taking 291 shortly too. Seems so much to learn with this one compared to 290. Reading through the MOC Training Kit is taking forever. Running through practice questions must be the best sort of prep as always.

When we do find out how Paddyboy got on, perhaps he might also give us some hints about what sort of questions came up in the exam.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  9. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I'm taking a mock test for 291 at my local testing centre next week.

I took 290 a month ago and just about passed. Has anyone taken 291 recently, and recommendations for practice tests?

Good luck Paddyboy - be sure to say how you get on!

10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi All

This sounds like 70-216 in W2K. If so you need to know a wide subject matter in great depth. Good Luck

11. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I'm studying this one now, if I can discipline myself I hope to take it around the new year (yeah right!) or, shortly after the festive season. My TCP/IP and subnetting is at 'just passed CCNA' level so that's why I've dived stright into this one, DNS however is something that has always made me go cross eyed when reading about it in any depth.

On chapter 2 of the book now reading about subnetting, VLSM, binary and other stuff that's still fresh in my mind. I'm using the Sybex book which has a nice DVD in the back. I'd like to hear what the exam is like, the cramsession cramsheet is laugh a minute :p

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ditto! :biggrin

I'm reading the Official MS Press Academic version of the book for 291, and DNS it baffling me again!

Still, I Passed 'The Beast' so I must have known my stuff on DNS then, but its bambozling me again!

It's not a particullarly hard subject to learn, but it is very hard to read, if you know what I mean?

8)

13. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I'm also doing 291 on Monday (24th). I have downloaded the MCSE 2003 pack from *******.com. Loads of PDF files for each exam. The 291 set is over 300 mock questions! Too many to go through fully. I already have MCSE on NT4 so to an extent I am just updating what I learned before.

I am also taking 293 the following week. Assuming I pass 291 of course!

Can anyone out there tell me how many questions there are in 291 and 293 respectively? The appt for 293 is shorter so I guess less questions.

Once I have got 291 and 293 done I will have MCSA. Two more after that for MCSE. Can't wait!

Reference to Braindump site removed (AJ)

14. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Good luck on your exams Phil, but Braindumps ...............

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  15. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I plan to do my MSCA over a period of about 6-9 months.

Braindumps don't do anyone any favours and lower the value of the certs..

16. PAT

PAT Banned

Hi all thank you all for the feedback

Sadly I did not pass on my first try but I am hoping to do a retake in November.

As for the exam it’s about 100 times harder than 291 . But I think if you have a ccna that will help you out with some of the questions.

Good Luck

17. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Well, sat 291 today but unfortunately they askes me the wrong questions! Consequently didn't quite make the mark this time round.

However, re-take a week today so with luck they will choose the right questions next time!

For the info of those preparing to take this exam, there is no biasing of subject matter. DNS, DHCP, RRAS and subnetting were all in there. Couple also on congifuring SUS. 43 Questions in all (Mult-guess x40, sims x3)

The sims were quite hot on DNS and linking with GPOs.

Good luck!

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that you didn't pass this time around, Phil. Please keep in mind that the test you take next week may barely resemble the one you just took. There might even be a slightly different number of questions.

Each exam draws from a huge database of questions. When the testing computer connects to the server, some sort of algorithm selects the questions on the spot and downloads them to the testing computer.

Good luck next time around. Knock 'em dead. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  19. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

What would have been the 'right' questions?

20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sorry to hear it Phil -good luck next week tho :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity