291 anyone

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by dales, Jul 21, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

So who's on the 291 at the moment then, I've only really just started and am a little thwarted that I cant really practice any of this at work (novell environment), so I think this will take me longer than all the other exams just on that basis. anyone want to share notes?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Dales, am studying for this beast at the moment using TestOut, MS Press book, MeasureUp practice mock exams and Trancender.

It's going to be a tough nut to crack but am determined as well as getting my lab hands on at home on VMWare server, windows server 2003 enterprise and standard edition windows server 2003 and client OS xp pro. I think this is a little over kill but am trying to get as much hands on for this one as well as using out DC's at work but not delving in as in changing anything.

Best and I hope this help's.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

good idea, whats the testout stuff like I've never bought any of that, currently studying from exam prep and mspress books, plus have 3 servers and client, but am very tempted to set up another server as a DC for a child domain to help with dns and stuff.

Its going to be a long hard slog but I am looking forward to it and I think I will find it an interesting exam to study.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

I to am working on the 70-291, But seem to spend most of my time looking out the window. :rolleyes:

I'm using CBT & Testout videos. VMWare for exercise I learn better that way hands on. Books also MS Press and Sybex Study Guide 2nd.

Im still finding this exam Dull.

edit:
    I would look at buying a 2nd hand copy of Testout there my be a member who fished with there copy to sell.
    If I remember there is a Sale thread Study Material some were here. I got my from a college mate who had passed.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I have used TestOut on all my server MCPs. I think its really good. I read the MS Press book, then do the TestOut stuff. They compliment the MS books well and the practice exam at the end is good quality. Highly recommended addition to your study material.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  7. Chriseast1

Chriseast1 Bit Poster

I am starting this as well but struggling for motivation a bit even though its all I need for the MCSA. I just bought and fitted a new hard drive to give me space for more virtual machines and in an attempt to get myself going I have booked the exam for a months time.

Currently using the MS press book, CBT nuggets and virtual machines.

Certifications: see signature
    WIP: MCSA next up 291
  8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Good luck guys, passed this a couple of months ago, was a tough exam, that really made sure you knew a wide range of stuff.

As you probably all are already doing most of this im sure it wont be a revelation, but to pass i used the MSpress books, and then had 3 servers on vmware with one xp client

I focusing on DNS, DHCP and the RRAS (with failover for each) for my practice, also IP and subnetting knowledge was practiced.

Not going to give much away for exam content, but from memory the MSPress book did cover nearly all the topics to a good level, although i think some real life experience did help as well.

Ironically while my subnetting was good (from mspress and a few websites), but the Cisco CCNA command guide handbook has sections of subnetting and VLSM (which wasnt in the prerequisites for 70-291 if i remember correctly) and the cisco book explained it much better.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have come across a few different subnetting guides in my time and I think it's down to personal preference which suits someone best.

The old classic which I found very helpful was :-

http://www.learntosubnet.com/

Some of the early lessons were a tad repetetive, but I found the content excellent in general. I would spend some time having a look through this sub forum as well. I think I put up two or three links to DNS study guides in here while I was studying etc...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

I've just started the MS Press book after spending a few weeks before trying to get my head around subnetting. I think I'm nearly there with the subnetting.

I used the MS Press guide, Windows server 2003 Inside Out, secrets of subnetting website, and questions from http://www.subnettingquestions.com/default_int.asp which helped.

I'm wondering whether I should use any CBT videos for this too, as its a toughie.

Sparkies notes look really useful.

Cheers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  11. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

So 291 peps how it going ?

Still finding it hard to get the ball rolling on this exam, I not surprised so many drop out at this point of MCSA/E
    Working on DNS & subnetting the more I do on subnetting I still don"t seem to get any quicker.

looks like it going to rain :dry

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Keep at it Ence, as am still working on this exam too, currently the reading the MS press book on DNS etc. I also have purchased the MeasureUp test prep mock exams and would be using TestOut too.

I have also setup VMWare Server with windows server 2003 enterprise domain controller, wins server 2003 standard edition as member server and winxp pro client

It truly is a dull exam and a drag to get myself motivated on cracking on for this exam. But it has to be done, so watch this spare.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  13. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Working on this Exam myself... Just finished chapter 10.. MS Press Configuring and Managing remote access... I want to shoot myself, least favorite section by far, at least DNS was fun. 2 chapters left... I think I'm going to skip the prepare for the exam section and just go for it with the second shot.
    Also I'm not a fan of most of the Labs in this book requiring Dial up connections :dry
    But I guess me having to modify them to get them to work with my modem free setup is good practice.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  14. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

am actually going to write 70-291 nxt wk. i suggest u go thru dis book MCSA/MCSE selfpaced
    training kit (exam 70291):
    implementing, managing, and maintaining a
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network infrastructure / J. C. Mackin, Ian McLean. also try to get enough hands on, i believe u will do jst fine

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  15. armouredcrack

armouredcrack Bit Poster

I have just started 291 and i am getting the impression already that its seems to lean more towards practical i.e how to configure DNS DHCP etc. So my plan is to get as much hands on as i can.

I am using the MS press book with transcender. I am using VMware and i have also setup a server at home.

Hopefully that will be enough. It's definately the hardest exam so far. Good luck to you all. :D

Certifications: A+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  16. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

I have just started the 291.

I have killed my VMware network that I had for 290, and have installed 2 instances of Server 2003.

I am just at the end of the TCP/IP chapter, and working through the exercises. A lot of this network theory was new to me, so it's a bit of a shock.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  17. armouredcrack

armouredcrack Bit Poster

Took the 291 exam yesterday and passed with a score of 700. Passed by the skin of my teeth :P

Saying that i had no previous experience working with servers apart from 290 so maybe thats good. :)

I used the MS press book with the MS readiness software for learning with online sites like technet for extra info.

For the Simulations i networked two Wk3 servers together so i could play about with zone transfers and monitor network traffic etc.

In the run up to the exam i read the Exam cram2 book and used the transcender software for exam practises.

Advise for anyone taking the exam:
    plenty practise using DNS, DHCP, RRAS etc for the simulations
    plenty revision
    preferably experience in a network enviroment

And remember the exams only hard if you dont know the answers :D if i can do it with my severe lack of experience anyone can with the right frame of mind.

Where there is a will there is a way :D

18. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

A pass is a pass, congrats:) and thanks for sharing.

19. Nickalicious

Nickalicious Bit Poster

Congrats on the pass, I'm still studying for the 291 hoping to do the exam before the end of November. Currently studying with the Sybex study guide book, CBT Nuggets and my work environment (2 servers, 50 clients and a test server). Good luck to the rest of you!

Erik

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  20. armouredcrack

armouredcrack Bit Poster

Thanks guys :D and good luck Nickalicious