290 training kit - low disk space

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by sangstar, Mar 11, 2008.

1. sangstar

sangstar Bit Poster

im attempting to work through the training kit by MS.
    the book says to allocate 3gb hd, and 1gb unpartitioned space.
    now the first step is to run microsoft updates (update the server) now during this phase i keep getting the low disk space balloon, and my computer shows only 45.2mb free space.

any help people? I want to follow as the book says, so i didnt make a bigger hd in virtual pc, but this is well dumb!

Certifications: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional (70-270), Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment (70-290), Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client (70-620), CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, MCSA: Server 2012
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am not doing that subject but I started using virtual pc the other day and made partitions of 6.5GB for each OS.

I have always found that if something says it needs 1GB RAM it needs double that, the same with everything else.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

You should be able to convert the .vhd file to a dynamic disk in the settings menu of Virtual pc. That way the disk will grow as more data is saved to it.

I'm not sure if this will change the partition size of the W2K3 installation, but you could create an extended partition on your C: drive and increase the disk space that way?

HTH

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i doubt that the disk size is of any consequence, so you can make it bigger as you need. Remember, the space recommended might have been more than adequate at the time of going to print, but there have been a lot of patches released.

its really no big deal if you dont follow the book to the letter in this.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. sangstar

sangstar Bit Poster

thanks people. I cant extend c:\ because it is a system partition, i dont want to jump ahead and do extra things, because i want to follow the book strp by step, so i dont miss anything out.

The updates included SP2, but that i stopped, so without SP2 there is 710 MB remaining which is hardly anything, especially one i started adding the additional windows applications (dhcp, dns, etc). Im going to recreate the vhd tomorrow, make 5gb c:\ partition and 2gb unpartitioned space, as opposed to the 3gb c:\ and 1 gb unpartitioned space. This took up my whole learning time today, because MS Server 2003 takes ages installing on Virt-PC, then the updates, it all so time consuming on my crap laptop!

Certifications: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional (70-270), Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment (70-290), Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client (70-620), CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, MCSA: Server 2012
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You are probably looking at 15GB min for a system partition to run Server 2003. Remember SP2 has been released after your book was published which increases the size of the install and also the overall install size varies depending on what roles your server is running. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

when you install xp and server it tells you to install with x amount of space, ignore it and use alot more. its saying that because its the minimum amount to install the o/s but its way too small if you want to then install updates and software. i found this out when i was following the M$ lab books.

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  8. violalee

violalee New Member

Windows created the low disk space warning to alert computer users when their hard drive is running low on available disk space. Then you will see on a fairly regular basis as your hard drive fills up is the Low Disk Space warning.

[​IMG]

In this condition, you should delete some of the files or data on the disk to spare some space or reallocate the disk space in three ways( some software may help you like acronis disk director or easeus partition manager,etc.) here is a solution http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=13505150#post13505150

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

<sniff sniff>

I smell me some spam in that image.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!