270 or 620?!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by ryanthelion84, May 22, 2008.

1. ryanthelion84

ryanthelion84 Nibble Poster

Which one next!?

The Pro's and Con's:

According to the exam objectives, although this can be misleading, 620 seems to have 'less' content than 270.

270 would be more immediately relevant in the workplace as XP is still the front runner in terms of client OS choice in big organisations.

I already have CBT Nuggets for 620, although this would not be my only choice of study material (will probably buy a book or two as well), and have 'casually' (by which i mean without making notes) started to watch the vids just to keep my brain ticking over...id have to buy materials for 270.

620 uses new technologies, such as the replacement for RIS (name of which i cannot recall right now) and as such taking 620 before 270 might confuse things a little...

What does everyone else think?

Certifications: 70-290, PRINCEII Practioner, ITIL V3F
    WIP: VMWare ESX VCP
  2. ryanthelion84

Or you could just view the post and not reply to it...whichever you feel is most helpful! :dry

3. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

For my Server 2003 MCSE that I did a couple of years ago I chose 270 over 210 for the client exam in order to keep the generations in line with each other.

I have since done the 620 exam as part of my planned upgrade to MCITP on Server 2008. So my advice would be to do 620 rather than 270 as far as the certification is concerned, but it also depends on what is more relevant to your own situation.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  4. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

You probably know that in the workplace you will typically only need to use a fraction of what you study during your exam preparations - so don't base your decision on your work. Decide what you want to achieve in terms of certification and take the most future proof track.

5. ryanthelion84

Cheers phil!

That has helped! I think I'll do 620 (VISTA) first and then make a decision as to whether i need to go back and do 270 (XP) based on where my career is headed! (It's up in the air atm, in fact I have an Server Support role interview in like 30min!):eek:

6. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Well good luck with that - and remember that hands on experience is probably the best tool you will ever have to help with your job needs.

Not trying to take anything away from the importance of exams, but offering advice based on my own experience. I work with Server 2003 everyday but spend far more time resetting passwords and clearing printer queues than I do setting up trusts, domains or RAS security :-)

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Although it could benefit me directly if you were to study Vista, I would recommend that you pursue 70-270. Windows XP will be around for a long time, and you can always get 70-620 later. But at some point, the 70-270 exam will no longer be available. Getting it now will make you look better in the future. Consider a few years from now... if you were an employer, who would you hire, someone who looks like more of a newb with Vista and Windows 7, or someone who looks more "old school" with Windows XP and Vista (and, perhaps even Windows 7 as well)? Considering some companies still use Windows 2000 Workstation, you'd be best served by doing XP, then doing Vista.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. ryanthelion84

Boson> Regarding XP being around for a while yet...that would be my main motivation for doing 270 first, it is definately more industry relevant at this time and with the various loopholes I can see it being purchased for a while yet!

Rumour has it it wont be long before Vista is replaced anyway...not sure how much truth there is in that.:blink

As for exam expiry and employer opinion, i hadnt thought of those myself!:dunce

In between posts however, I have just bought both 270 and 620 texts for the v. reasonable price of £50.99 inc delivery, so I'll probably crack on tomorrow!

No rest for the hungry. :wink:

9. Corsair

Corsair Nibble Poster

Get certified on the technology that YOU/Organization are/is using right now. If you are using XP get certified on XP, if you are already using Vista or will adopt it really soon get certified on Vista....

Certifications: MCSA, MCTS, Security+, Network+
    WIP: CCNA
  10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Why not do them both? You could take XP as the client exam and use the Vista cert as an elective. In doing this you would have proven knowledge of not two but three OSes.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  11. ryanthelion84

Tinus > the intention is to do both, exactly as you have suggested (720 as client and 620 as elective)

I was just deciding which one to do next?! :biggrin

12. Tinus1959

In that case I would do the 270 first. The knowledge you need for the 270 wil be helpfull for the 620. The other way round there is less "overlap".

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I`ll second that, I’ve almost finished the 70-620 MS Press book and there is some overlap from the 70-270 such as troubleshooting drivers.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. ryanthelion84

i did get the impression 620 was 'smaller' in terms of exam objectives, i think this must be based around the overlap!

15. Tinus1959

I see it more like this: Although not asked in the 620 exam, the knowledge of what you learned for the 270 exam helps in solving some problems in exam 620.
    The knowledge learned for the 620 exam will help you less in doing the 270.