266mhz 184pin ram non-ecc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadowwebs, Sep 28, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Has anyone got any "266mhz 184pin ram non-ecc" spare RAM that they no longer need?

Or... that I could borrow and return back to you, the reason is that the system I am replacing the RAM in now thinks it only has 32mb even though has 2gb, so I am wanting to test it out without having to fork out another £25 as to whether it's the RAM or the board... I suspect it's the board, but worth a try.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

It's possibly high-density RAM is it? That would cause the wrong amount to be read. ALWAYS buy low density RAM!

Or with RAM that old, it might be all the motherboard can take!

3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have managed to get hold of some RAM, it may not be the correct stuff but it's 266mhz, 256mb module, will be worth a test when i get home.

In terms of the RAM that I have got at home already, I am not sure if it's high or low density.

Motherboard can handle a maximum of 2gb, I checked the specs on Dell Website, if none of this works then I am going to recommend to my brother that he sells the base unit and then I will build him a new one, he will lose money without a doubt, but will be worth it in the long run.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)