210 / 270 Question

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by datarunner, Mar 14, 2007.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Hi All

Looking for some advice here.

I am scheduled to do my 270 next week but I already have the 210 (w2k) MCP. As the 210 is still a valid core exam, is there any point in me sitting the 270?

Should i go for the MCDST instead then the 2 server exams to complete the MCSA?

Advice appreciated

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There's no benefit to taking 70-270 unless you would find it helpful in supporting your Windows XP clients.

The MCDST is certainly helpful when supporting WinXP clients as well. I'd recommend it for any desktop system admin.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

So am I wasting my time with another client exam? Shouldnt I just go for MCDST to get closer to the MCSA?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I can't say whether you're wasting your time or not. All I can say for certain is that you need only one client exam for the MCSA or MCSE. Only you can determine whether taking the client exam will give you any personal benefit, but it won't give you any additional certification benefit.

The MCDST will give you an elective towards the MCSA. Be advised that the MCDST will NOT give you an elective towards the MCSE if you plan on continuing towards it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You could also do the Network+, then do the 70-290 & the 70-291 to round of the MCSA. But then you'd be in the same boat as if you do the MCDST if you went for the MCSE (the A+ & Network+ do not count towards the MCSE).

Like BrainBeacon said only you can decide whether or not you need the 70-270 (another client exam).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security