2012 time to go back to college with a view to do a "non-technical" program ????

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Asterix, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I have now racked up quite a few certs and my career path is pretty clear in regards to all technical aspects, so i'm now looking into the possibility of complimenting my technical experience/certs/accreditation's with a "non-technical" accomplishment of some kind.

Thinking of appropriate courses for a part time evening/distance learning course I'm thinking of Project management, management or Business, are there any other areas which would assist with a technical role?

I have already achieved a Bsc (networking) so I'm not sure what level of course i should undertake, i was initially thinking of a C&G or NC/HNC, but having difficulties locating anything relevant has anyone done any similar courses part time? Any thoughts?

I have looked at the local college offerings although there seems to be limited options in the Surrey/Hampshire area, has anyone been on any college course part time in this area? I am also looking to do a short course for the Prince2 foundation, would it just be worth sticking to this?

I understand that i can look into Msc courses but im not looking to overly commit financially and pay out thousands.

Kind regards,
    Asterix

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Mate,

Prince2 Foundation or the Comptia Project+ can be self-studied, just like ITIL v3 Foundation and MOF. There's also the FITS Advanced (Manager) level 5 qualification or the level 4 Practitioner level, but you have to attend courses in order to sit the exam.

How about seeing if work will put you on some sort of Apprentiship or NVQ for Team Leading or Management program? I did the NVQ 3 in Management and one of our tech's is doing the Team Leading one (while on a full salary), useful for when/if you take on extra responsibility or move on up. Or even a basic teaching qualification like the PTTLS at either level 3 or 4? This can help if/when you do coaching at work or if you decide to move into the training field.

Alternatively what about a basic computer forensic's course like this one? Something different.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

I did the ISEB Enterprise + Solution Architecture exams at the start of the year and they were good and relatively non technical.

Quite like the architecture side of things, all about the bigger picture and business needs.

Not sure how else you can study for them though apart from a course from a training provider.

4. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Guys,
    Sorry for the delayed response, i had a relaxing Xmas off :D

Thanks for your suggestions, i have lots of unprofessional certs in mind to self study, and was really looking for a part time evening course that my employer could put me on alongside my (self) studies.

I have nearly given up on this now as i cannot find any evening courses that seem relevant in business or management in the Surrey area. Tthe only options seem to be very low level (which will prob make my CV look worse) in qualifications such as GCSE and AS levels or the other extreme of post grad diplomas or 6 year part time masters programmes :(

Regards,
    Asterix

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

What about a Post Grad Cert (4 modules)? Shorter than a Post-Grad Diploma and Masters.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Great - Sounds like just the cookie! Although im struggling to find a relevant course still although i'm pretty sure this is the level i should be looking at!

Asterix

7. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Great stuff i had better results looking for PGcert