2003 Server problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have made my own test domain. The idea is to gain a full understanding of 2003 server, for work purposes and to get me through MCSE.

I recently moved the setup and on restarting the system was greeted by the *please register with Microsoft*. I didn't want to register anything until i was happy with the set-up or incase of a re-install. For some ukwnown reason, after it couldn't connect to MS (the last time i used it the network card was working fine) i told it to shut down. That was the last time the system booted! :blink Now it won't even boot in safe mode. It halts on the;

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\system32\acpitabl.dat

Anyone else had this happen on them? I think i will phone MS for activation of the domain controller rather than chance the same thing happen again. :twisted:

Edit;

I booted from the Server CD at on the first run it told me setup could not continue because *the file symc810.sys is corrupt. Press F3 to restart your server* On the second time it told me there was no hard drive in the machine! The third time, i booted the machine and it went in to Scandisk. It got to stage 3 of 3 and has halted on *Security descriptor verification completed*
    Looks like the hard drive might have gone toes up during the move.

Boyce lights a Cigar and reaches for Spinrite.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What kind of HDD it it Boyce? RAID/SATA?

I know that things can go belly up if the drivers for such things are not digitally signed i.e. approved by Microsoft.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Hi Pete,

No, it is a bog standard Seagate IDE drive. It is not set-up as a *real* server as such, just for my *mcsedomain*.
    It was working perfectly before the move; maybe it was damaged in transit.
    There is no trace of the drive now. Even Spinrite can't find it. :cry:

Si

4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Boyce,

I had a problem with XP on my laptop a while ago. Not quite the same problem, but lots of different problems ranging from what looked like duff XP media, to a missing HD, to the blue screen of death on reboot.

Turned out it was a loose stick of ram.

Not saying this is the case, but you never know.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Ludd,

As you say, sometimes it can be something you least expect. I think in this case the drive has just *gone*. I am in the middle of a LLF and will then run Spinrite before reloading Server 2K3 on.

Thanks for all the input; i will let you know the outcome.

Si

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I ran the low level format and it said it completed with no errors. I then ran Spinrite to see if it was going to tell me the drive was stuffed (which i was expecting), but it couldn't find the drive.... I then went in to the BIOS and it couldn't find it either.
    I popped the case open for a second time, unplugged and re-plugged everything in and re-booted. Before i had chance to press <DEL> to enter the BIOS it started to boot in to 2003 Server. :blink
    I let it carry on and it booted to the desktop. One thing i notice, is once you are overdue on the activation you are stuffed. I wanted to enable the ethernet card to register with MS but it won't let you do anything until you register. I called MS, with the ID and it is now in the middle of a <SFC>.

Boyce <scratching his head>

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What the :eek:

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

How embarrasing. I stripped the wrong one! The one i had a problem with still has a problem! :oops:

9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Mate - layoff the booze...

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Cheek, i wish it was! I am sober as a judge. 8)

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well I presume there was no vitally important data on that perfectly good hard drive mate :biggrin

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thats just it, the drive was never wiped. I put the drive which i thought i wiped in the other identical machine and it booted. I think the mobo must have gone. For some reason it won't detect any IDE interfaces at all. It will find the floppy and thats it.
    Any ideas? I am looking for a BIOS flash to see if that makes any difference.

Si

13. Mr.Cheeks

can you not put the hdd into another machine, and spinrite it to get the data off?

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Cheek,

it is a bit confusing, but basically i have two <servers> both identical. Not only hardware wise but i have put a sticker on one so i know which one is which for the KVM switch. I was going to strip the faulty one for a second time last night but called it a night.
    Tonight i mistook the faulty one for the good one and it booted up Ok after i unplugged all the cables and re-fitted them. I then had a shock when i booted the other one (which i thought was the one which has worked perfectly) to find it wouldn't boot. This is the one causing the grief. There is nothing wrong with the drive or data; it will run on the other machine.
    I think the mobo or BIOS is stuffed on the other one because it will not see any IDE interface at all.

Confused? You should be! :blink

15. Mr.Cheeks

Mate - that was a good explanation, infact it iss that good, i cant even try and help so... thats all you will be hearing from me in this matter... Good luck mate...

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you tried resetting the BIOS to defaults?

17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Pete,

Yep. I am literally <stuck> with this now. Any other pointers greatly received.

Si

18. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Boyce,

What edition of "Server 2003" did you install onto the "problem" server?
    • Evaluation
    • Web SP1
    • Standard SP1
    • Standard R2
    • Enterprise SP1
    • Enterprise R2
    • Datacenter SP1
    • Datacenter R2

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

R H Lee,

Thaks for reply, but the problem is definately hardware; i can run the OS from another (identical spec) machine no problem.

The <faulty> machine will not recognise any IDE devices. I have tried loading the default BIOS settings but no joy. :cry:

Any help gratefully received. :)

Thanks for looking.

Edit;

Standard R2 Version

20. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Which motherboard do you have in the dodgy one Boyce?

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3