2003 disk checking without restart...

Discussion in 'Software' started by delorean, Mar 27, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I am trying to run a disk check on an external hdd. The OS on the PC is 2003, when I right click and try to use the tool to find and repair bad sectors and file structure it asks for exclusive access to the HDD and prompts me to run the scan upon a reboot.

I cannot do this as a) I need to keep the server up and b) I am unable to move the drive to another PC, I'm performing this via remote desktop.

Is there a way to run a thorough check on the HDD without having to run the scan on boot? Thanks.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

hi,

you could try one of these

http://www.google.com/search?client...isk+checking&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

if the OS wont allow you do it (if its asking you to reboot) mabea a third party app would work?

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Eek! Just realized I haven't corrected the above post. I thought the drive I was working on was external, it's not, it's just a another hard drive inside the server case. It's not running the OS so it shouldn't need exclusive access.

What I imagine is happening is users are opening files on that drive so I cannot run a check on it. What i've devised to do is login remotely tonight and reboot the server so a check can be run on it. At the same time the server will also have 2003 SP2 installed on it too, so everyone's a winner!

Thanks for the link though, I am still interested in finding a solution to the original question. :)

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA