2003 booting with no peripherals...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, May 2, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

depending on the BIOS can anyone see why i couldn't get Small Business Server to boot without a monitor, keyboard and mouse?
    I want to "stuff" a machine out of the way as a test domain and want as little cr@p in the way as possible. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Why not simply plug them in as and when required, then once its setup remove them?

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

fair point Si, it was more of a curiousity question as the *server* was going to be in an awkward place and once initially set-up would be accessed over the network....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Might depend on the motherboard BIOS. Most 'domestic' BIOSes won't continue boot if the keyboard is missing. Server BIOSes will often have a BIOS setting that allows boot even if the keyboard isn't there.

Also - there are some adaptors about that seem to spoof this. We have a number of servers that have a small box plugged into the keyboard and mouse ports. I gather they 1) spoof them being connected, and 2) don't go bang when you plug a travelling monitor and mouse into them when live.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Isn't that when you get the message "keyboard not found", press F1 to continue :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

:biggrin

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

That may have been true once - these days it tends to be more along the lines of "keyboard bot found, system halted". :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+