2 PC's Beneficial?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by mattprince, Nov 12, 2008.

1. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi,

Further to my other post in "introductions" i have just built myself a new computer today (AMD Phenom, 4GB Ram etc etc)

I am about to start studying A+ then Network+ and then MCDST.

Would you say it is beneficial to have a second computer so i can practice what i will be learning in Network+?

If so would one of these little netbooks (asus eee/dell mini 9/msi wind/samsung nc10 etc) be ok to use as the second pc? (as it will only be used to network and to do network settings etc etc)

Matt :)

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, N+ and MCDST
  2. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

If you have a powerful enough computer, which it seems you do... would it not be better to have a couple of virtual computers running?

Im currently doing net+ and have a couple of virtual computers set-up in VMWare which allows me to practice what im learning without having to have a new set-up along-side my existing one.

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
  3. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi,

you could look into VMware, this would allow you to install virtual pc's.

Regards

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  4. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi,

If that would work then fine but i cant see how i could network 2 virtual computers? , i mean the pc would only have 1 network card??

Matt

5. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Yes it would be a good idea but I would suggest installing Windows XP Professional on both computers especially for the MCDST as you to learn about local policies and Remote Desktop etc. Also if you plan to to do an MCSA in the future you can install an evaluation 120 days Windows Server 2003 CD, learn and practice how to join the computer to a domain and lots of other things etc thus you need Win XP pro or Win Vista Business/Ultimate Edition to join a Domain.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  6. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

There is no physical network cables or cards to network them, but you do the settings as you would do with a physical computer and if the settings are correct, then it will work in the same way. Just with virtual computers, you lack the physical element of things (cables etc)

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
  7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

There are many benefits to using virtual machines, but one downside to using a virtual machine is that you won't get the experience of running cable between the computers and dealing with physical connectivity issues. Conseqeuntly, if you have the resources available, I'd suggest getting two computers. If nothing else, if you build it you'll get even more experience towards the A+ exam.

8. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

So if the settings were right it would work because its running from the same computer?

I think i would prefer the 2 seperate computers tbh as that way i could keep things seperate

Matt

9. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

In fact , i could most probably use one of these UMPC's couldnt it? (htc shift/oqo 2/sony ux etc) , as long as it had an ethernet port on it?

Matt

10. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi,

I am going to do that and have 2 computers. Built my new one this morning and its working lovely. I am thinking of getting one of these netbooks or a umpc (oqo 2 or sony ux90)

Would they be ok? , as its only going to be used to be the other computer i network to?

Matt

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I got a cheap comp from the recycling centre to take to pieces n stuff for the A+ as for everything else I have a virtual network on my good pc running windows server 2003 and 2 copies of xp and windows 2000

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi,

Well i built my main PC today and just bought a Samsung NC-10 Netbook of the web , so that should do it.

Matt :p

13. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I agree. You can use virtual machines later. Getting some hands-on with two or three physical machines and a switch or router will help you figure out how it all works when your starting out. Running cables, experimenting with crossover cables, pinging between machines to test connectivity. All excellent experience best had with physical hardware.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation