2 Network connections in XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jellyman_4eva, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me.

I have a wireless network card connected to a wireless router for my home lan and internet connection. I use this all the time. I also have got a spare PC which I have started installing various OS's on to play with.

I installed 2K server today, and used a VM on my normal machine (The one with the wifi) to install 2K client. I have a wired lan card in my normal machine, and one in my spare, so I connected them up using a switch I have.

However for some reason, once I put the wired lan cable in, my normal machine will use the wired instead of the wireless as the default card, which means I cant go on the net etc at the same time as using VM's. I have been into Advanced Network settings and put the wireless card at the top of list so according to MS it should be the one used first... but its not...

If I adjust the speed for the wired from 100Mb to 10Mb, then it lets me use the wireless as the default like I asked for!!

Whats the point of the priority list of connections if it thinks it knows better and picks the fastest?! (Also how many people have a wireless thats faster than their LAN...)

Anyone any ideas..

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Check the result of the command 'route print' in a cmd box. The important bit here is the 'metric' which controlls the preferred route.

If the ethernet connection goes nowhere execpt the other box then you need to adjust the routing tables to show this.

If *think* (without checking) that if you don't enter a default gateway for the ethernet card then it won't add a default route.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

What about the binding order?

In Start\Settings\Network Connections\Advanced\Advanced Settings it will list the available network connections and the order thay are accessed, in connections move your preferred card to the top.

Just a guess - could be completely off beam!

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  4. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

Just read the first post fully!

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  5. hbroomhall

Er - I thought I did. What are you directing me at?

Harry.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I get the impression that MarkN was correcting himself for just having read the first post fully, Harry, as opposed to pointing you elsewhere. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. hbroomhall

You could well be right - sorry. I'm blaming it on this empty bottle of wine here.... <hic>

Harry.

8. dotnetms

dotnetms Bit Poster

yes he is. but anyway there is an option
    "default gateway" in your tcp/ip settings.
    manipulate that only for the default network
    you want.