2 days work and still no joy!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stuPeas, Sep 13, 2007.

1. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

This is the worst build I've done. My mate finally decided on a C2D, SATA 2 HD, SATA 2 DVD/RW, 2x1Gig RAM (matched pair), PCIExpress graphics.

DAY 1
    The build went fine but at switch on the machine powered up for a few seconds and then rebooted, but no signal to monitor.
    We took it to the shop we got parts from and they suggested that the graphics card was broken. They replaced it with a better one (but not in our view) and sent us packing with us assuming they had tested it.

Got it back to his house and managed to get an output only once, with the majority of times getting the same problem and others besides (multiple reboots).

DAY2.
    Back to the shop again but they want to charge us 30 quid to test the parts because the machine is already built. NO CHANCE. We borrowed a screwdriver and stripped and re boxed all the parts in my mates car boot.

CPU was fine, MOBO worked with our CPU BUT only their RAM. So it seemed the problem was incompatible RAM which we swapped and finally managed to get an output from the system.

The only problem is that now the OS (WinXP) wont install.

With both stick of RAM installed we only manage to format the HD and get to the "setup is loading files" stage but it then sticks on "windows executive" (which looks like the very start of the process).

If we remove one of the sticks of RAM so we are operating in single channel mode only, all the "setup is loading files" stage completes and the "copying files to windows installation folders" process begins. This is where it all falls apart.

The copying process gets so far and then a blue screen message appears stating that windows has detected a problem and will be shut down to avoid damage. Once, the message was accompanied with the details:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. (when HD ran in SATA2 mode).

and another time the details where:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. (when HD ran in SATA1 mode).

Ive tried using an IDE HD: Same problem. So its back to the shop again tomorrow. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful. Thanx

Stu :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What motherboard and PSU? What brands for the other partssesses?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you load the SATA driver from floppy disk or are you just installing directly from the XP disk? If so is SP2 on the disk.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

MOBO = ABIT IP35-E (fsb 1333)
    CPU= Intel C2d, fsb 1333 (not sure because he took box home)
    Matched pair Geil 2x1gig (not sure on PC, but definately DDR2)

As an extra, the stop codes are:
    0x0000000A (0xF90540BC, 0X00000001, 0X00000000, OX808194AZ), With the HD in SATA2 mode(although I dont think the HD mode is the problem.

and

0X0000001A (0X00041284, 0X002B2001, 0X00001194, 0XE053000) With HD in SATA1 mode.

Cheers Mike

5. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I think there is an onboard sata controller (mobo book says "offered by Intel ICH9") on the board ( the Bios correctly identifies the HD). the MOBO manual says nothing about any drivers for SATA.

SP2 IS on Win Disc

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sparky has a point. In the past I had issues installing windows XP because I was missing the sata drivers. It was basically the same issue as you are having where it sits at "loading files" and nothing happens.

Usually the sata drivers can be found on the motherboard cd or downloaded online.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Sparky

Does the mobo have IDE ports? Might be worth putting in an old IDE drive and cable and try to install Windows as a test.

Is there perhaps an issue with the CD drive? vibration perhaps? Or even a duff Windows disk.

These problems can be a nightmare but always good to get fix for it, in the end! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Sparky

Worth noting that even though the BIOS can see the drive it doesnt mean that Windows can see it. 8)

9. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Nice one, but no. Ive already tried an IDE drive and got exactly the same problem. Ive also tried 3 different installation disks. I'm fairly confident that this board should be able to load windows on the drive without drivers (its a new board with 4 SATA 3Gbps sockets). The stop code indicates a read error from RAM if anything, but then again, this stop code seems to be fairly common not just on installation, but on working machines.
    Thanx anyway guys, if you have any more thoughts id be grateful :(

10. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Windows gets past the formating stage and even loads a certain amount of files to the folders it created on the SATA HD

11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Hey, I thought the big advantage to windows is that it works with all hardware and is easy to install.... :twisted:

Try a Linux LiveCD from Ubuntu or Knoppix and I'll bet it boots and runs fine. :)

:offtopic

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  12. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Probably Right mate. Unfortunately, its not my machine, and the client couldn't handle Linux.:cry:

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, I'd bet it's an incompatibility between the mobo and the RAM.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Have you also tried installing from a cd-rom on the EIDE cable?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  15. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

start from scratch again, update the bios (if you haven't already), configure the new bios and then give it a blast with memtest to see if that brings up anything. if that passes then run a diagnostic on the drive/s just to rule them out. gfx should be ok as long as you have any additional power connectors connected and make sure you have the 8 and 24 pin power connectors on the mobo installed too. remove everything else from the mobo i.e. sound, network etc this will just remove any risk of other complications and then try an install xp again. if it continues to play up it could be a suspect mobo.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  16. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

The first set of RAM was definately incompatable, which resulted in NO signal to the screen. I guess i'll ask the shop to try instalation with anoher brand and see what happens.
    cheers Mike :D

17. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Yes. I tried to install to an IDE drive. The same problem occurred

18. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Cheers Grim.
    How do I update the BIOS when the machine has no OS on it??

19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would agree that its a RAM problem do you not have the mobo manual?

It will say what types of RAM are compatible and will tell you the different latencies etc that can be used.

Also check if its a ddr2 mobo check you havent put the RAM in the dual channel slots and the mobo isnt set a single channel mode.

Also check both RAM sticks are the same speed, latency and hertz.

Hope this helps :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

you dont need an o/s to flash the bios, the bios kicks in before then. go to abits website and download the correct bios for your motherboard (you may need a flash utlilty too, each manufacturer does it differently). you'll need to read the txt doc that comes with it to work out exactly how to do but basically stick the files on a floppy and boot....voila.

WARNING: if done wrongly, wrong files are used or the process doesn't complete for any reason your system wont boot. which will mean either you'll have to recover the old bios version, hot swap the bios chip or get the mobo replaced.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640