2 CD-ROMs on same cable ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jakamoko, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

There's no reason why 2 CD drives cant work on the same IDE channel, is there ???

I'm getting some suspect probs after recent re-jig, and just wondered about this ... :?:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

They should work fine, so long as one is master and the other slave. What sort of problems are you getting?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. AndyL

AndyL Nibble Poster

I have two on the same channel - no problems.

Certifications: MCSE 2000,2K3,MCSA:M 2000, MCSA 2K3
    WIP: Painting the doorframes.
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Yeah, thought that ... :roll:

Just that I binned a drive a few weeks back that had been Secondary Master - giving me no end of grief, it was :snipersm:

So I replaced it with another on the same position, while the Secondary Slave remained the same (working fine)

That all worked fine for a week or so, and now the Master has "died" again - just wondering if it was a bit too much of a coincidence, or just right bad luck :(

Cheers all

5. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

I also have 2 drives on 1 IDE channel working okay.

I recently fixed a computer which couldn't see both drives by swapping the slave to master and master to slave.

It might be worth giving it a try. :idea:

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I have ran 2 CD rom drives on one IDE channel for a couple of years no with problems, try what taz 69 said and let us know how you got on

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Cheers guys -

I'll check all cable connections again, but I fear its looking like plain old bad luck - guess I won't back any horses this weekend :cry:

Luck white heather, anyone ???

:P

8. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Was giving this a little thought while walking the mut yesterday, have you tried swapping the cable out?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Phil (et al),

'scuse the delayed response, but this is bugging me so much, I reckon I'm gonna haul the machine out this weekend and check the drive/cable config !

I'm, sure it's too much coincidence that 2 drives fail on the same position on the same cable on the same channel :?: :?: :?:

So tweezers out, jumpers at the ready, here I come ....

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Phil...it could be the cable. Also, check the pins on the IDE controller to make sure none of them have been bent. I've gotten wierd responses on hard drives when that's happened. Just so I understand all this...you have one or two HDDs on one IDE controller and two CD-ROMs on the second IDE controller, right? The set up should work fine. The only obvious problem to avoid is to not mix an HDD and CD-ROM on the same controller...data transfer rates for the CD are slower generally. Also, while I'm thinking about it, recheck the jumper settings on both CD-ROMs to make sure one is clearly master and the other slave. If all else fails, check your BIOS and see if it supports master and slave drives...who knows?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks Trip - from memory, that is indeed the set-up, with jumpers checked out OK (the 2 CDs worked fine for a while, after all)

I reckon a cable or pin prob, but given that I was at a wedding this weekend, all bets are off regarding opening up and messing with cables - I can barely steady my hands to type this, after all .... :gmorning

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If I understand you right, hangovers and hardware don't mix. Wait until the throbbing in your head stops and your hands are steady again. Hope you had a good time.

Certifications: A+ and Network+