1st week of work exp

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Jul 29, 2011.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well i have to say, im happy with myself for doing a full weeks work in about 4 years, obviously because i was a student and had other crap going on that limited me to what i could do.

The lads im working with in the school are decent, especially a bloke called Howard, basically ill work with him, and go where he does, suppose im his shadow really, and he tells me what we need to do, how to do it, then leaves me to get on with stuff, any questions i have he has all the answers, and i understand everything hes saying, which is a good thing.

Monday and tues was basically moving stuff about. Wedensday thurs and fridaye was setting up the library, with servers and pcs etc, ghosting the lot, changing domain names, using ipconfig, mapping drives, using computer control software etc. All of this has been fun, and rather than just doing itm, i have learnt a hell of a lot in the last few days, so much in fact that i was ablle to ghost and set up the second section of the library on my own, which im well chuffed about, we have loads more stuff to do, and strangely, im looking forward to monday. One thing i did have trouble with, was making RJ45 cables, found that to be fiddly, and it took me ages to do one lol, so need to work something out for that, dont know what though lol

Thought id keep you up to date

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Glad you enjoyed it matey, but why have they got you making patch cables? Or was it a specific length cable they needed for a particular run? Far easier to just buy them in normally as the time it takes to make them would cost them more that it would to make them (unless they have someone that aren't paying like you I guess. :) ).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Yeah, that cable was for the new servers they had put it, they have got me on technical stuff and are showing me stuff, so its working well for both of us really, to be honest, if the next 5 weeks go like the first, i wlll be very happy in deed.

One thing i need to do is give the bacon butties a miss lol

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good stuff! Glad you're enjoying it. 5 weeks will give you plenty of experience and you'll have something to put on your CV! Only going up from here :)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA