1st line Support

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by demarrer, Feb 10, 2008.

1. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

What are the typical jobs roles a first line support technician has to do in an average day?

Cheers

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  2. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

The 1st line boys at our place answer calls, log problems, reset password, etc.

Most issues that come through on 1st line are easy to resolve, with most just needing a restart.

I'm well and truly glad I skipped that part of IT :eek:

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  3. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

what did you skip too then? :-)

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Call logging is going to be needed for each call placed.
    Other roles in my 1st line job were confirming accounts were locked and who to contact locally to unlock them, if you were technical enough and could talk through a solution with a user then virtually any problem under the sun - adding network printers, simple investigative work, advising users on how to do use office products, giving user information about 3rd party software and their specific contacts.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

That depends on how average the company is.

If it's a large company with a big IT team that has predefined lines, then sure, first line could well just be call logging, resetting passwords, and telling someone to turn it off an on again.

I work for a medium sized company (300 users, 5 sites, 1 domain) and do first line.

My average day entails making sure email traps are clear, logging, solving and escalating helpdesk calls. Solving in the case of our first line team can be assistance on software, fixing hardware and peripherals, basic issues with Active Directory... all sorts of lovliness.

An above average day can also include setting up new users in AD (as well as removing leavers) troubleshooting network problems (mainly crawling under the floor when second line don't want to) working on data rooms, purchasing and negotiating with suppliers, maintaining the asset register... and so forth :) I'm also currently reviewing all of our IT processes and documenting procedures, and get to build master PCs whenever we go for a new line of hardware. Which is causing... issues... at the moment :dry

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

All of which is definitely above what our 1st line do:
    I work on a very large contract - 20,000 users, 20+ sites, 4 domains - that I know of!

Our first line is purely logging and flogging, with an attempt made to solve the problems - unfortunately from a script so anyone should be able to do it (seeing some of those I worked with - they had a hard job using their own PC, let alone helping others!)

We have departments for user account creation/issues, an e-mail team, a network team, a catalogue/change team that deals with asset registers, documentation team - the bigger the group of users I really do feel the less you actually get your hands on - hence why I'm seriously considering moving on from where I am.

7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If you want to get your hands dirty more, then you almost certainly want to work for a smaller company. But when I say smaller... it's difficult to gauge small and stuck in their ways, or small and willing to invest in their technology and employees.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

I was lucky enough to jump straight in to 2nd/3rd Line Support.

We have 6,000+ users, 12 sites, 3 domains and a branch network to support - never a dull day.

I do feel sorry for the help desk lot though, as it would kill me sitting on a phone all day.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I guess there isn’t a typical role as such, it really depends on the size of the company and how the IT department is structured.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Exactly my thoughts..... I may take that leap of faith one day :)