1st line support skills?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by cjd, Apr 9, 2007.

1. cjd

cjd Bit Poster

hi,

does anyone know the most common skills that are required for a 1st line support role? i've spoken to a friend and he mentioned that word, excel and outlook were the most common questions asked @ his old place?

i'm ready to take the xp exam in late may, and thought maybe of seriously studying the mos for those above (word, excel & outlook) and after doing the 290 exam (server 2003). not sure if studying the 290 exam would be best 1st then the mos after?

any ideas??:eek:

Certifications: HND, A+, Network+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Excel and Word... :blink I would suggest stick to your plan - just maybe make an adjustment instead of MOS look at the MCDST:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/default.mspx

To be honest i cant see where a MOS for those would help? Maybe im wrong but i think a MCDST would help you MUCH more in the job market.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. mazuk

mazuk New Member

I would say basic knowledge of xp,word,excel and general interest.

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

basically MCDST and Network+ will help... even if you do not decide to take the exams, but know the vast majority of the course, you will benefit quite a bit imo....

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi

I would say MCDST is the way to go.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

I'm 22 years old from the Uk I started out my career working on a I.T helpdesk for 2 years

I would say Communication skills are essential being able to explain I.T to a broad range of customers with different skill levels is essential.

Secondly I call it detective work which is having the ability to gather information from the customer and gain as much background information into the error / fault.

i.e When did the problem occur? is this a reoccurring problem? has anyone serviced your machine recently?

It can be quite mundane and tedious at times sitting on a help desk and dealing with the same requests you often have times where you think how can these people be so idiotic but you have to remember that everybody doesn't possess the same skillset as yourself.

I would say that a basic knowledge of troubleshooting networks and a good grasp of basic network hardware would also come in useful!

Xp is pretty simple to support I mean if you have problems where you don't have the knowledge to resolve you simply research and hit up the forums!

Good luck :)

8. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

Also, I found it quite hard to not make the user appear daft, because you are going to get issues such as "my screens gone blank" and you have to tell them to press the power button.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development