1st line helpdesk....Job profile

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tysfoot, Nov 28, 2008.

1. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Hiya guys :D

im studying for my a+, i have no experience in the I.T industry and when complete im wanting to get my first entry level jobs

I just wanna ask people who have done or are doing 1st line support, How easy is it for someone like me who has passed my A+ but has no experience in customer support and in I.T ?

Also what does the job involve, what are the nature of the problems ? ? ..... im thinking its mostly just password resets etc, is this true ?? :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  2. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

I am currently working in 1st line support and have been doing so for only 3 weeks. This is my first IT job so will answer you with what little experience i have.
    My role includes daily back up checks on a variety of remote servers that we support and weekly server health checks. We deal with Phone and email work coming into the helpdesk. This varies from users to add,delete,move and new groups and resources to set up to user being locked out,password resets, users with no network connectivity, users with printer problems ect ect ect. You get my drift user's are a pain in the a*se :p
    Keep up the studying and you will hopefully land a 1st line support role that will lead onto better things.
    Best of luck :)

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  3. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Cheers mate :cheers... So did you just do your a+ then start looking for 1st line support jobs ?

What sort of training did you get at the start of the job ?

Also, how are you finding it now....is it fairly easy or do you get stuck sometimes ?

Also can i ask how much are you being paid as its your first job ?

Cheers

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  4. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

1st line support can differ from company to company. My advice is to run a forum search of keywords like "helpdesk" or "1st line" and have a gander through some of the previous posts (there are many) on this subject.

On side note, I started my first IT job well over a 16 months ago armed only with the A+ cert and a willingness to learn, so your on the right track.

One the front line of IT support you well be expected to get stuck into all manor of problems from desktops, laptops, blackberrys, projectors, wireless, smartboards, mobile phones add of course the bane of the IT techs life....... the dreaded printer. (you will learn to hate printers, believe me)

Start developing your troubleshooting abilities now. Work out how to fix things and find information on how to fix things.

Best of luck to ya.:biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA