1st Line Helpdesk/ Desktop Support

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by wisdom, Jan 20, 2010.

1. wisdom

wisdom Bit Poster

Found this today. It says experience is not essential as training will be provided but see below. When click on the Apply button, just select the "graduate" option will let you apply.

1st Line Helpdesk/ Desktop Support

I notice anything typed here is searchable through Google so I will include just the link above.

Certifications: CITP, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Thank you. At this moment there are 74 applications!
    Do they go through all of them? Do they use keywprds search for CVs/cover letters and thus use it as gatekeeper?

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  3. wisdom

wisdom Bit Poster

Reed gets all sorts of other recruitment agencies if you join their mailing list. The best one can do is to have a high impact CV that shines :biggrin within the first 10-30 seconds of reading (with or without a covering letter). After that, either there's something they see relevant and want to get in touch with you or their eyes roll over to another applicant :eek:. I wouldn't dwell on, just click apply, send and move on to another search.

Best of luck.

4. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Thanks! I am 74th applicant :-)
    How cool will it be if I get this job.
    Jobsite is good one to upload CV as well.

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  5. wisdom

wisdom Bit Poster

Yes, I learned from this forum about Jobsite too. It's great that we can all share these experience. So I uploaded it and entered some key words and within a day or two I got a phone call asking if I was interested in a job so I said yes. Expecting interviews soon. When I next speak to the agency, I will ask that question for you about them using keywords to search for their candidates. If they do, then that would help everyone understand how agency finds their perfect candidates.

There's other website I'd like to share too.

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk
    http://www.jobserve.co.uk
    http://www.careers-jobs.eu
    http://home.monster.co.uk
    as well as jobsite https://www.jobsite.co.uk

I notice my CV gets viewed 100 times more than the others on Jobsite so I think there's something there! For Monsters, I had a call too from an agency but not sure what is happening yet.

Somewhere on the Internet, I read that working in the public sector is better money. This is what I found on Guardian.
    A little off topic perhaps but it's useful to compare.

6. Jobsite.co.uk Gary

Jobsite.co.uk Gary New Member

Hi All

I hope you don't mind me joining your conversation, but I think I can help answer a question posed here.

Just to be up front, I work for Jobsite.co.uk (thanks for the positive comments about the service, much appreciated).

It had been asked how recruiters/agencies search for CVs, and you're correct that in many cases it's based on keyword searching. Pretty much all the major job boards have a CV database with a keyword search facility. It's common for recruiters to have searches set up for specific skills, job titles and locations, which they run each day to find any CVs added by jobseekers that match their current roles.

As you can imagine in today's economic climate, there are a lot of people looking for new jobs at the moment, so it's important to understand how these CV searches work. I wrote an article for the Jobsite blog recently that explains how you can write your CV in a way that increases your chances of it appearing in recruiter searches. It looks at keywords, job title conventions, variations and freshness. Hopefully this will help answer your question and give you a few tips at the same time.

One word of advice though - don't stuff your CV with multiple or irrelevant keywords, as it can have the opposite of the desired effect. Just include the ones that are relevant and ensure it is readable.

I hope that helps

Gary

Jobsite.co.uk

7. Nick Jones

Nick Jones New Member

Good post

Certifications: MCSA
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Interesting article Gary, thanks for sharing.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hi Gary

I appreciate your honesty, it has long been suspected this is the case, from your post key word searches seem to be the way recruiters go, but this is flawed take for instance my CV one role I performed I did a fair bit of SEO for their website, which in fairness some companies would find of interest in an all rounder like myself, however that is not my main skillset and my CV makes that clear, but i get at least a dozen SEO only roles a month, which dont interest me, and it makes it obvious that my CV hasnt been read, this is the flaw in this system and wastes everyones time.

What im getting at is that I appreciate you probably get a ton of applications per role, you should be wary that you will likely be missing out on the best candidates time and time again due to their CV's not being "keyword" friendly or people cheating.

Ultimately it should be down to placing the right person in the right role, and sadly from what ive seen in the past the opposite seems to be the case, and people cannot do the jobs, or have been misinformed about the role (thus harming their career).

Then again financially recruiters benefit from repeat job placements.

Welcome to the board :)

Kev

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal