1st Line / Entry Level / Helpdesk / Desktop / IT Support Jobs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by The_Mo, Feb 23, 2012.

1. The_Mo

The_Mo New Member

Hello Everyone,

Long time reader, first time posting a new thread.

I've been studying CompTIA A+ since the beginning of the year with help from Mike Meyers and Professor Messer's videos, advice which I've upon these forums.:D

I'm currently in a full-time Customer Service Admin role (Non IT related), after doing over 5 years in a technical support role for PlayStation taking inbound calls, outbound calls and emails in which I helped people connect online to the PlayStation Network via their router, as well as other PlayStation Network queries such as game downloads, account issues i.e. resetting passwords, product support and dealing with high level complaints regarding unauthorized transactions.

I've been applying online everyday for 1st Line / Entry Level / Helpdesk / Desktop / IT Support Jobs but keep getting told by agencies that I'm over qualified even though I have no real commercial experience with Windows, Active Directory and the sort which leaves me baffled.

And I'm willing to take a pay cut from my current job:eek:

So when I do apply for IT Admin / Technician / Desktop jobs, I'm told I don't have the Windows qualifications, VMware, Citrix and linux experience but they will 'keep' my CV on file and contact me when they receive similar roles. (Usually means they don't bother):(

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place wondering what to do?

Any advice???:blink

Thanks guys

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi, welcome to CF!

What qualifications are they stating that make you 'over qualified'?

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. The_Mo

The_Mo New Member

Hi RichyV,

The agencies say that I have experience in 1st line & 2nd line Tech support and that the client wants to train & build up the new recruit

4. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

keep going at it! i applied for everything with no experience in the field, i was a builder for 19 years, im now a service desk analyst at a fairly big global company!

it will happen it just takes time!

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Seems strange that you get 'over qualified' rejections on the basis of 5 years in a Tech support role.
    I suggest you crack-on with the A+ then move onto N+ and some MS certs whilst continuing to apply for the desktop & IT Admin roles.
    You could also try contracting to get some 'varied' experience of IT support too if you don't mind the 'uncertainty' of the contractor...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
  6. The_Mo

The_Mo New Member

Thanks for the boost alexdc12!

I'm just feeling bemused. I did get an interview with a Broadband company that deals with routers but that didnt interest me and my knowledge wasnt that extensive.

7. The_Mo

The_Mo New Member

What would be the best way of gaining experience of IT Support via contracting?

Thanks

8. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Well, each contract will generally be short-term, so you will gain experience in differing scenarios and from different perspectives at each business.
    Also, generally you won't be turned away due to 'over qualification' or 'over experience'.
    Permanent positions sometimes won't be offered to a perspective candidate due to worries over them being 'seen' as one of the above and leaving prematurely due to lack of interest or lack of a perceived 'challenge'.
    Contractor's, by their very nature, are short-term commitments and no such worries of this sort generally exist.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  9. Oro

Oro Bit Poster

I would love to be told this as I've been looking for my first IT position for a while now and the feeback I've been getting is "they want someone with at least a years experience". Bear in mind these are low paying (14-16k) junior positions.

I've come to realise there are a lot of first line support guys who have no intention of moving past 1st line and just bounce around filling these junior positions.

Certifications: Comptia A+
  10. The_Mo

The_Mo New Member

Thanks RichyV

I've applied for contract jobs online already, no real responses from agencies :(

11. The_Mo

The_Mo New Member

I've been looking at junior positions starting at £18k which is quite a pay cut for me and most of them are based in London too, so travel expenses add up

12. The_Mo

The_Mo New Member

I finally got an interview, in fact 2 lol

A Helpdesk role and a IT Support Engineer.

Wish me luck!

13. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Good luck Mo! When are they?

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  14. The_Mo

The_Mo New Member

Thanks!

The Helpdesk role is on Thursday afternoon, if I do well and they invite me for a 2nd interview.

The IT Support Engineer role is on Friday.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012