1st level support

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by riaz.hasan, Jun 29, 2006.

1. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

hi guyz,
    I'm currently doing my A+ and after this my mcp and then look for a level 1 IT support job, but the thing is, i want to know for level 1 wot actually is the role...is it solving very simple software and hardware problems on phone and escalating it to the next level if its more complicated?? or is there more to it?

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

the definition of the support levels differ per company.

in some companies 1st level involves telephone support only. in other companies it involves going to the user to fix the problem. so when you have an interview you should make sure you get a clear understanding on their definition of the support levels.

some companies, like mine, even have expanded support levels:

level 1 - call center
    level 2 - workstation support
    level 3 - junior local site admin
    level 4 - senior local site admin
    level 5 - enterprise/global admin

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

And in some places like mine you do a bit of everything! :biggrin

4. riaz.hasan

thanx d-factor and simon graham i guess i have a long long way to go to become a system administrator :) but lifez never easy...by the way, i looked at some of the ads. for 1st level support and they all seem to be based on hourly pay, is that always the case?? :blink

5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Or you may have to start in a call center where all you do is open tickets and dispatch them into a queue and take the next call....it sucks, but it's a foot in the door.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

When you get interviews, I'd ask exactly what the role involves. I started off in a first line role which was just answering calls and dispatching tickets. I'm now in a role that is still classified by the company I work for as 'first line', though they call it service desk support and not 'helpdesk'. This role involves full remote access, full admin access to the active directory and the exchange servers, basically I can anything but physically go to the user and fix the issue. Hopefully though once I pass my MCSA and with 2 years of this level of experience, I should be able to move up the ladder.

Certifications: MCDST;MCSA: Messaging;MCSE
    WIP: CCENT
  7. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

I just started in my first role in IT - a Customer service advisor on the helpdesk, which is below 1st line. But i am quite lucky it seems, as well as passing on calls to others, a lot of the calls you can resolve yourself. You get power user status, get to do simple things in active directory, eg. password resets, disable accounts etc, and remote desktop to others pc's to fix other probs if necessary

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  8. riaz.hasan

yeah i guess level 1 help desk analyst is the type of job i would probably look for once i finish off my A+ and MCP then :)