1st job offer since getting certified

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Fanatical, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Got offered a permanent position with a bespoke epos software company for their helpdesk (still need to have interview but got good feedback). Trouble is it's 1/2 hour drive from me, it's shift work and the starting wage is 1k less than i make now.

From experience do you guys think I should risk it or wait to see back from any of the jobs I lobbed my CV at? I'm not 100% convinced that doing a helpdesk for one specifc product is the best way to get started but then again it is all experience but then again its a big cut in salary with the extra travel invovled..

I'm soooo confused!

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

I would go for an interview and see what they have to offer you:

Then way up the pro's and con's...

What is the career progression going to be like ?

Will they support you getting certs ?

You're going to be taking a paycut to go there, what do the prospects for future payrises look to be ?

Hope that helps.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  3. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Also,

How do the IT team seem to work with ? decent supportive friendly atmosphere ?

What sort of experience are you going to be getting at the new place and will it be good for the career you have in mind ?

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's entirely up to you. If you think it's a better opportunity, then go for it. If not, don't... it's as simple as that. You know the situation far better than we ever could. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It can't hurt to interview and in fact, getting practice interviewing for IT jobs is good experience, in and of itself. Like the others have said, you don't have to take the job if it's offered, on the other hand, you have to be mindful of the "paying your dues" factor. Going "entry-level" in any new career means low pay and lousy hours...at least at first. It's your life so it's your call.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

I gues i'm asking whether I should go for the first thing offered to me or wait and see what comes back from other things. i've sent off several applications to jobs that would suit me more plus one job at my current workplace that would be great for me travel wise, money-wise and is fairly similar to what I'd be doing in this job.

If I were unemployed and living at home there would be no contest . Plus I'm worries that doing a job centered around one piece of software isn;t great for the CV. I think I'll go for the interview for the experience but probably won;t go for the job.

God, I hope thats the right decision...

7. cHk4

cHk4 Nibble Poster

Not advice but im in the same shoes. Trying to get in to IT and to be honest I will prob accept the first job I am offered. I have prob applied for 30 jobs, not heard back from one yet. :( Way I see it any experience is good. Its better gaining experience in the IT field than carrying on in the job I am now which is non IT related. Well I think so any way!
    Not trying to Hi-jack your thread just saying my opinion on what I would do as im in a sim situation!

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCTS
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's a decision only you can make. Although a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, only you can tell how attractive those birds look to you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Why not take the job and if one of the other ones works out take that one instead?

If you dont get another job offer (soon) you may regret it. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

well I decided that with the increase i mileage and drop in pay it wasn't for me. had it been closer it wouldn't have been a problem or if the money had been equal to what I'm on now.

Still I don't need to get a job within the first week of passing my cert so I'm not going to dwell on it. I'm sure the right vacancy ill come up if I try hard enough!:biggrin

11. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

see this is a worry factor for me in changing over to It, i understand i cant start at the big salarys but for me to drop a thousand would mean id not afford my mortgage or any of the other bills, Ive fully come to the conclusion, with all the passion that id love to work in the IT profession, if i cannt clear what im bring home now that i got to stay in my current career, until maybe one day i can finicialy drop my wage (which i doubt) or i do get luck and get a decent paid job.

But then again im not fully convinced i know how much to be expecting to get as a level entry, may i ask and please dont say how much if you dont want to but how much was that company offering? and what kind of location in thhe country was it? As i guess around london area youd get a heck of a lot more than where i am.

Certifications: A+ Essentails, A+ Technician , MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  12. cHk4

cHk4 Nibble Poster

I know im not in IT but all the 1st line support or helpdesk roles seem to pay out around 17k-20k. Im on Surrey/Hampshire border its bout 45 mins train from London Waterloo.

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCTS
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I don't know what money you are currently earning, but I had to drop several thousand in salary to have the fresh start i wanted.

Starting salary will vary depending on where you want to work - London is probably as high as you are going to get UK wise. I would take a look at some of the agency websites and see what they are offering.

Good luck

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

im currently on 19k a year, thats why im okay with the fact i might not be able to change of that easy, but you never know, never the less im enjoying studying again and learning a lot more about computers than i would of, but thats not saying ive lost faith, ill get a job that pays that, just need to explain to them why im so good for there company and they need to pay me lots of dosh! lol

Certifications: A+ Essentails, A+ Technician , MCDST
    WIP: MCSE