1st IT job interview - advice please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by gazberg, Aug 25, 2010.

1. gazberg

gazberg Bit Poster

Hello

I have an interview this week for a 1st line service desk analyst job within the IT company i work for. I currently work in sales/customer service but since i started 6 months ago i have been self studying and am now CompTIA A+ certified and now halfway through Network+.

I am very keen to break into IT support and was wondering as this is my 1st interview what kind of questions do you think i should expect?

Any advice much appreciated.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You could get asked anything, but if they know you have gotten your A+ then the questions will probably be geared towards what you have studied.

i.e how do you do see if your device drivers are ok or how do check event viewer for problems.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

When I first got the job for a desktop support role, I was asked a couple of questions such as, if the computer doesn't get to the POST screen what are your steps in troubleshooting, what are differences between windows xp and 2000, etc...

Each interviewer is different, you will probably get different questions. Basing on the fact that it's first line support, the stuff you covered in your A+ is going to help you a lot.

Good luck!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

What they said ^

Plus I've known a few interviewers who will throw in a couple of questions they are sure the candidate won't know the answer to, its not from a desire to be evil they are looking for honesty, if you don't know explain what you'd do to find out and be prepared to use the word escalate! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. gazberg

gazberg Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice gents. The interview itself wasn't that bad but OH BOY the technical test. Lot of stuff in there that's not covered by my CompTIA A+/N+. 40 questions in 20 minutes.

1st thing they did say as i handed my paper in is that all applicants had struggled so far as it contained 2nd/3rd line material which they expect many applicants cannot answer as it is a test created regardless of tier applied for. Small blessing i suppose.

Anyway help appreciated!